Cotswolds day trip from London with rental car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning London get away for end of September and would like to include a roadtrip to Cotswolds and Strattford upon Avon. We will be leaving early in the morning from near Warner Brother's with a goal to reach Strattford by 4pm. We have until then to drive through Cotswolds villages. If anybody has done it and could recommend a couple of pictoresque view points, short walks, towns to drive through, maybe tea places- would appreciate it.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 03:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We will be leaving early in the morning from near Warner Brother's with a goal to reach Strattford by 4pm.<<

OK a basic/scenic/high points/easy route would be Watford to Burford (lively Cotswold town and good place to stop for morning coffee/pastries/etc. Be sure to visit the church - one of the best in the Cotswolds) then to Bourton on the Water (pretty village with a river down the main street) then just up the road to Lower Slaughter (beautiful small village with a stream and a watermill) then to Stanton (small village on a steep hill to the pub at the top with views for a hundred miles) then on to Stratford. This entire drive from Watford to Stratford would take about 3 hours plus stops so doable in your short time. There are a hundred other places you could visit but you don't have the time and these will give you a nice taste of the Cotswolds.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you @janisj! sounds like a plan! when you say steep hill up to Stanton- would the driving be hard? (we are already on the wrong side of the road).
since I have your attention, i also cannot decide on how best to spend the second day of this roadtrip...we need to be at Heathrow around 6pm for flight home later that evening (the following day)...after walking around/visiting Shakespeare house in Strattford, we could drive to Oxford for the night and spend the day there..or Windsor Castle...which is close to the airport so we won't be nervous about being delayed on the road had we chosen Oxford...would appreciate your thoughts about how best to spend the last day of the trip. thank you!
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 07:24 PM

>>when you say steep hill up to Stanton- would the driving be hard?<<

Not hard -- just put the car in a lower gear. It isn't far from the main road up to the Mount and the parking at the top of the hill is totally flat and the pub has outdoor seating so if the weather is nice you can see all the way to Wales. https://www.themountinn.co.uk

>>i also cannot decide on how best to spend the second day of this roadtrip...we need to be at Heathrow around 6pm for flight home later that evening (the following day)...after walking around/visiting Shakespeare house in Strattford<<

You may want more time in Stratford than you think. The Birthplace is one small part -- there is the church where Shakespeare is buried, other buildings in town, the theatre and a foot ferrt across the river -- plus Anne Hathaways Cottage and Mary Arden's House just outside of town. Actually - the Birthplace/house is one of the least interesting bits.

SO -- I'd either stay in Stratford and explore more of the town the next day - being sure to leave for LHR by 4PM or a bit earlier if you want to be AT LHR by 6PM (I'm assuming your flight is 8-9-10PM-ish). This would be my choice if Stratford/Shakespeare are musts for you -- If not, I'd skip Stratford altogether . . .

OR - As you suggest - visit just the birthplace, and then drive to Windsor for the last night. Being only 7 miles from LHR you'd have all day to visit the Castle, and see the town.

I LOVE Oxford but driving and parking in the city is a BEE-ATCH - If you were to spend your last night there -- I'd return the car when arriving in Oxford and then take the Express Coach from central Oxford to LHR the next afternoon.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 07:28 PM

>>It isn't far from the main road up to the Mount <<

Meant to add -- from the main road - the B4632 - it is barely a mile up to the pub.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

@janisj thank you sounds like a good plan!
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 11:36 AM

Oops - that would be a 'foot ​​​​​​​ferry' . . .