Search

Cotswolds

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswolds

We are arriving in London on June 4th and have until June 7th to be in Market Harborough to pick up our Narrowboat for a week on the canals. We would like to spend Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday visiting the Cotswolds and don't know how to do it economically. We are wondering if we should take the train to Oxford from London and try to get a tour out of Oxford to see the Cotswolds or if we should stay in London and try to get a tour out of there to the Cotswolds. Can anyone advise us. Joanna
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I hate tours, even for first timers, and especially in a country where you speak the language. I would read a bit about the Cotswolds, pick a desirable destination, and hop a train as soon as I arrive in London. Then I'd do my own exploring by foot or by train. If you do your own research before going, I would guess you'd find your trip much more enjoyable than a tour. Good luck.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
LJ

I am going to jump in and say I don't quite understand what you mean by "getting a tour". Do you mean a guided tour? If so wouldn't the tour company involved dictate the point of departure?

However, IMHO, you could just as easily rent a car and make up your own tour of the Cotswold area with a good guide book and your B&B list open to those pages. The Cotswolds is/are charming and easily accessible with a vast array of interesting pubs/ restaurants from which to choose.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I agree with LJ.. rent a car and visit each lovely town in the Cotswolds. And stay there overnight.. I especially loved Bourton on the Water. We stayed at the Mousetrap Inn and it was very nice. There is so much in that area to see. Several Manor houses with gardens, some castles, the rollright stones.. each village unique...Yes, rent a car !!
If you are worried, have only one person drive, and make it an automatic !
You do get the hang of it. Trust me...You won't regret it...
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM

You will really have just two full days, (and three nights). We ALWAYS have a car in Europe and have seen the Cotswolds 4 times (WONDERFUL!),,,but in your case you might want to look into a 2 day guided bus tour out of Oxford, to get a good overview of that area. You could spend the first night(possible jet lag etc.) comfortably in Oxford, (a very interesting and nice city!) I think you could get a bus from the London airport (which?) or the train.

(I would think the Cotswolds are busy and touristy in the summer, but early June would not be so bad, as schools don't get out till later in the month, I don't imagine). Burton-on- the Water ALWAYS touristy. Burford is nice, as are Chipping Campden, Stow on the Wold etc. . Oh what a beautiful area.!!!
A three day car rental might be pretty expensive since it would be a daily, not a weekly rate,,,,but certainly convenient. You could do research, pick a town and stay the 2 (or 3) nights there...working out each of the two days. You can cover several towns in 1 day. This is IF you feel comfortable driving on the left, and have a "navigator" with the map.
You have spawned my interest in the lovely town of Market Harborough and am making a note to possibly visit there when/if we ever return to that area.
Your trip will be wonderful, I imagine, on the Narrowboat...and I hope you'll give us a report upon return.