Reload this Page >

Cote d'Azur base? Cannes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Jill

Hi! My friend and I are travelling to the Riviera in a few weeks (last minute plans) and we still need to decide on accommodations. Where is the best base - Cannes, Nice, St. Tropez, other?? We would like to split time between two towns. We are two single women looking to relax and have fun, so no sleepy towns . . .

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Book Chick

Jill, <BR>Based on my own experience, I based myself in Nice. (Inexpensive & delighful!) I used the train to get around the coastal towns I wanted to visit. It worked out really well for me, but everyone has their own preferences. <BR>Bon Voyage, <BR>BC

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Marc David Miller

Will you have a car? If not, St. Tropez is inconvenient. I would vote for Cannes--nicer city for tourism (and nightlife) than Nice.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 12:12 PM
carol

Even though I love Nice and stay there whenever I visit the Riviera, alas my nightlife days are over and so I'd also advise you to stay in Cannes. I've heard that Juan-les-Pins (the town next to Antibes) has the hottest club scene these days, but it's really tiny and I wouldn't advise staying there.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Wendy

<BR> Cannes is much more glitzy and fashion-conscious than Nice, which tends to be a bit more laid back. We go to Nice every year for this reason. There's plenty to do in Nice itself if you're single (lots of clubs along the promenade and in Vieux Nice) and it's a good base for exploring the Riveria. E-mail me if you have ??? Good luck!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Danella

We stayed in Nice two years ago and loved it. We were only there one night, but wished we had longer. I think you'd enjoy it. We will be back there in September. However, we weren't that crazy about our hotel, so if anyone knows of a charming antique filled hotel in Nice, we would love to hear about it.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Capo

Hi Jill. I've been to the Côte d'Azur four times and I always stay in Nice. It's a big city -- bigger than Cannes and far bigger than St. Tropez -- that, to me, still feels somewhat small, perhaps because I spend a lot of my time in Nice in the wonderful pastel-colored old city, Vieux Nice. There are many restaurants and a number of clubs -- some with live music -- in Vieux Nice. (One caveat: if you must have a sandy beach, you'd have to travel somewhere else for it as Nice's beach is pebbly.)

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 03:20 PM
mw

after spending months purong over info in order to decide this very same issue, i settled on nice - st.tropez is too far away from evrything else, cannes is more expensive than nice, nice has a nightlife, nice beaches (yeah, yeah, we all know it is stone rather than sand - are you going there to make a sand castle???), and is centrally located - i am not single, but my husband and i like to party all night, and have options during the day so we chose nice <BR> <BR>p.s. capo, i have been reading boards most of the day when i should have been working, and you are all over! you even responded to my question about "beaches - should i go topless?" - looks like someone other than myself did not get alot of work done today!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Wendy

Danella, <BR> <BR> Since you asked... I can't recommend an antique-filled hotel, because the one we stay at isn't, except for the lobby, but we do love the Westminster Concorde. It's a great location, and the staff couldn't be more accomodating. I don't know what your budget is, but in July, we spent about $250. per night for a huge room on the top floor with a tiny terrace overlooking the Promenade des Anglais. It should be somewhat cheaper in September. Where did you stay while in NIce?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Danella

Hi Wendy: <BR> <BR>Sorry, I don't remember the name of the hotel, but it was not near Old Nice, which is where we'd like to be. It was very modern and small, but clean. Thanks for the help, I look up your suggestion on the web.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Wendy

Danella, <BR> <BR>In case you need to know, the Westminster Concorde is about a fifteen minute walk from Vieux Nice.