Reload this Page >

costa del sol to africa

Search

costa del sol to africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:17 PM
drgringo

costa del sol to africa

Has anyone made or know of information about the excursion from Spain to Tangeris?

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:20 PM
wendy

I've done it and I wouldn't recommend it. Tangiers is a nasty place.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 03:39 AM
Kellie

I am looking for the same info. Is it worth a day trip to Tangiers at all? <BR> <BR>Where would you make your home base in Costa del Sol?

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Kris

I wouldn't recommend it either. To take one of the organized tours we had to leave at 5 am, take a bus, then a ferry to get there. Once we were there, they herded you around the town, took you to a mediocre restaurant, then to a carpet sales pitch, loaded you back on the bus to go get our picture taken with a camel (along with a dozen other tour buses) and then took us back to Spain getting us back around 11 pm. The streets were full of people begging and trying to sell you stuff. I don't think Tangier is representative of Morocco, more of a tourist trap. <BR> <BR>There are a lot of other day trips from the Costa del Sol. Go to Ronda or Granada or Nerja or Gibraltar. <BR> <BR>We used Torremolinos as our base. It was good in terms of location but we had a hard time finding good meals in Torremolinos. We had a car for a couple of days and drove out to find decent restaurants. If you're staying there to go to the beach, you might look for a different area. We spent most of our time doing day trips so we didn't mind the area.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Pedro

I do not think it is a good idea. North of Morocco is the part of the country that lives in worst conditions and it is not completely representative of this beautiful country. Only Tetouan approaches to what you expect when you think of Morocco. But the trip is long and I absolutely donīt reccommend it. In my opinion there are some trips much more enjoyable from the Costa del Sol, I mean the Inner Andalucia: Ronda, Cordoba, Granada, Antequera, The White Villages, Sevilla, etc.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 09:50 PM
Deborah

I went on the tour to Tangier with teenagers. It was a little scary. The guys on the street selling things were so agressive, I was a little afraid (as were the teenage girls I was in charge of). Everything already commented on is true. The mediocre restaurant, the rug store, a spice shop, everything was set up as a sales gimmick. Our tour guide even stepped behind the cash register at one stop! <BR> <BR>That said, I'm glad I went. The trip is a little miserable, and I know what I saw was not typical of life in Morocco, but SOME people in Morocco do live like the people I saw. I was fascinated by the walk through the Medini (old city) where families were living in tiny houses and carrying in drinking water from a community well. <BR> <BR>If you have a low tolerance for being herded, pass on the trip. It is a long, exhausting day. <BR> <BR>Deborah