Costa Del Sol this January

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Little Cricket

Costa Del Sol this January

6 adventerous seniors leaving Jan 26 for 10 days in Spain.Thanks to former Fodor helpers. Here's our itineray. Seeking advice for: must see places to visit,restruants, accomodation comments, etc. Torremolinos;Melia Costa del Sol. Ronda;Parador de Ronda. Cordoba;Hotel Melia Cordoba. Madrid;Suecia Hotel.Also weather & dress advice.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 05:57 PM
mister noizy

My wife, 10 year old daughter and I will be visiting Fuengirola in February.
We're interested in making side trips to Ronda, Gibraltar and Seville, but we only have six days...any thoughts on the do-ability of this agenda? I've read that bus transport is the best...
any advice, thoughts or experiences would be most appreciated. Thanx.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 08:44 PM
little cricket

Mister noizy,
I think that you'll be pusshing it for those sights in six days, as Seville & Ronda are worth more time and we will take a tour to Tangiers from Malaga and that's an entire day (6 to 6 ) in itself.
I'll post more when I return on Feb 6 If you wish hit my e-mail on the 7 for more info.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Bruce

I lived on the costa del sol for 3 yrs I would leave out torremolinos its a young disco pub area. but would sepnd more time in Marbella Plaza of oranges (but in spanish) and 5 miles away on the road to rhonda (a must) is: Porta Banus a small version of sain topez. And maybe try to fit the rock of gibarlta in as well its an additonal 1.5 hr drive from Marbella.

Make sure you save your appetite for all of those tapa bars with hundreds of different dishes to try. You have to take the time to order Paella as well its the best. Weather is just like San Fransico.

Enjoy !!

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:16 PM
Marta Speer

I was in Madrid Dec. 99 as well as in Granada, Seville, Algeciras, Tangiers, Cordoba, and Toledo. Be very careful in Madrid. We were robbed inside the fourstar Hotel Orense. This happened under video surveillance! Later, when we ventured out, we were accosted by street people who wedged themselves between my husband and elderly mother and me and my elderly father. We had to file a formal report for the theft at the hotel which was committed by a ring of three men; one detained me by asking me a series of questions, while the other distracted my parents, sitting behind them so they would have to turn around and momentarily disattend our bags. A third man made off with the goods. The police told us other incidents had occurred there. We also found out that Madrid is now on the top 10 list for European cities with the highest theft rate. Be careful there.

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Brad

Was in Torremolinos this past November. Take a long walk along the beach in the evening - GREAT. Take the small train to one of the two large flea markets. See the locals there. You cannot miss them, just follow the crowd. Catch Mijas and ride the donkey Taxi's. But most of all, ENJOY. Oh, yes, my wife and I are both 70 years young and had no problem keeping up with the younger sect.

Old Jan 16th, 2000, 04:12 AM
carole

This is a message for Bruce really. Read your posting with interest but as I am from england I don't know what the weather in san francisco is like in january so it was rather lost on me. Could you possibly let me know in terms of degrees, weather etc. Many thanks.