Reload this Page >

Costa del Sol in summer

Search

Costa del Sol in summer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Carol Reuter

Costa del Sol in summer

Has anyone been to the Costa del Sol in the month of June? How hot was it? Would you recommend any particular restaurants, activities, sites, etc.?

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 09:41 PM
wendy

Hi Carol, <BR>I have some bad things to say about Costa del Sol. If you've been to nice beaches in the Carribean or the US, I have a feeling you will be disappointed. I've been to a few different places on the Costa del Sol and did not enjoy a single one and consider it time wasted. Okay for me, since I had four months in Spain, but if you are pressed for time, not cool. <BR>I was there in June, and since I'm from LA it didn't seem too warm, maybe about 85 degrees, but I remember the nights being chilly. <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 04:38 AM
Marion

Hi, <BR>Wendy, why did you "consider the <BR> Costa del Sol time wasted"? Was it the quality of the beach or the hotels or restaurant options or ??? We will be in the Costa del Sol in Sept so I'm curious about your reaction to the area. What places did you visit on the Costa del Sol? <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 10:52 PM
wendy

I was in Marbella, Málaga, Torremolinos, Benemáldena and some other place I can't remember right now, where the lady I lived with in Spain had a timeshare and let me spend a weekend. It may not have even been a town, rather just a zone of condos. <BR>The entire region is crowded, polluted and touristy. There are few Spanish people there - mostly Northern Europeans in search of sun. <BR>Here's a really vivid (and disgusting) memory of the beach there: I waded into the water and when I emerged, the little hairs on my thighs (that no one would ever notice) were BLACK from the dirt in the water that stuck to them. I should have known, though, since each time a wave lapped up on the beach, it left cigarette butts behind. <BR>There are so many wonderful places in Spain - don't waste time on the Costa del Sol. <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 12:05 PM
up

!!

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 07:49 PM
Eden

Wendy, you're bumming me out!! I'm staying 3 days in Marbella in July. Is it really that bad? Does it have any redeeming qualities??? Have you or anyone else out there stayed at the Hotel Tryp Dinamar in Marbella? That's where we booked. <BR>Eden <BR>

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 10:13 PM
wendy

Sorry... <BR> <BR>The redeeming qualities of Marbella are the rich and famous who vacation there. <BR>While you're there, maybe you can take a day trip to Ronda. <BR> <BR>I stayed in pensiones, or my host's condo, so I can't comment on the hotel. I'm sure it's fine, though, since it is a tourisy region, hotels are going to be comfortable. <BR> <BR>Honestly, I went BACK to Costa del Sol a few times, looking for what people raved about - I just didn't find it. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 06:32 AM
anne

The old section of Marbella is lovely. I have wonderful memories of the plaza full of small orange trees, lined with cafes, and the beautiful park beside the main road with decorative ceramic tile benches, fountains, and lush plantings. Marbella is west of the most heavily touristed area that's loaded with condos. A bit further west on the coast are the little former fishing villages of San Pedro de Alcantara and Estepona. Slightly inland is the tiny white village of Mijas. With a car you could explore more of the "white villages" inland as well. <BR>June is a good month too - fabulous weather and before the biggest crowds of July and especially August. <BR>I'm sure you'll find lots to enjoy and have a wonderful time! <BR> <BR>