Reload this Page >

Costa Daurada or Pyrenees

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:03 AM
trying

We have a week after a Barcelona week. Want a place not too far away and have narrowed it down to these 2 places. Any recommendations? We're going in May or June. Thanks.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:14 AM
Sheila

It really depends what you like. Me, I love the mountains, and I particularly love the Pyrenees. Have a look at Boi?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:25 AM
trying

We really like visiting small villages, strolling around, sampling food, wine. Although we love the ocean, we're not really beach people.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Maribel

trying,<BR>Given your likes, I'd choose the Pyrennes, hands down. Some of the tourist developments on the Costa Dourada are quite overdeveloped, kind of concrete jungles of characterless highrise hotels/apt. buildings, although Roman Tarragona is very interesting as is the interior-the route of the Cistercian monasteries.<BR>But so many Pyreness villages have a great deal of charm, particuarly the valley of Boi, as Sheila says, which serves as the western entrance to the gorgeous National Park of Aiguestortes, the Val d'Aran further north (villages of Arties, Salardu, Bagergue, Escunhau are particularly cute). And closer to Barcelona there's the lovely Cerdanya, at the foothills of the Pyrennes, an area from Camprodon to Seu d'Urgell, that's also a great region to explore. Great food, atmospheric towns, truly beautiful scenery and a spectacular cogwheel train ride from Ribes de Freser to the Sanctuary of Nuria-unforgettable.<BR>Have fun!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:18 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Stay at somewhere like Estartit.<BR>Smallish, marina, old town, beaches.............. and close to the mountains. You can also visit some coast tourist spots if you need nightlife.<BR><BR>best of both worlds ?<BR><BR>Peter

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:55 AM
trying

Thanks for input. We only have two choices in Pyrenees as we're taking a week of our time share-they are in Formigal, Huesca or in Canillo, Andorra. Are either of these close to the places you recommend Maribel?

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
helen

Costa daurada is beautiful if you enjoy sitting on a very mediocre crowded beach watcning oil tankers pass by. I have visited much of Spain and found this by far be the worst. It is overdeveloped, overcrowded, and horrid..we visited la pineda, not far from salou. Would rather stay at home than go again!

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:38 AM
canuck

Reading this thread with interest as we were planning on spending a week in Costa Dorada after Barcelona! Helen, I am horrified by what you say and since I have not finalized my plans yet, I would be interested in hearing more about your bad experience! Did you travel around the area or just stay on the beach? How long were you there? Maribel..is this also your opinion of Costa Dorada?

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Maribel

Helen,<BR>I'm afraid I share your opinion of Salou.<BR><BR>trying,<BR>Between Huesca (city?) and Formigal, I'd choose the latter, although it's further afield from Catalunya, located in the Aragonese Pyrennes. The scenery around the Parque Nacional de Ordesa nearby is breathtaking, you'll be near the lively and interestng city of Jaca, and you can make forays into Bearn, France from there.<BR><BR><BR>Andorra is for cheap, duty free shopping (Andorra la Vella is the Ginza of the Pyrennes-a giant electronic goods bazaar), cheap skiing and wild apres ski scene (kind of the Ibiza of the Pyrennes) and spa treatments at the giant Caldea "water paradise" at Escaldes.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Maribel

canuck,<BR>Sorry I didn't see your post while writing mine. No, I don't care much for the Costa Daurada-much prefer the northern Costa Brava around Pals-Begur-Aiguablava-Calella de Palafruguell-Tamariu-Llafranc. The inland area of the Tarragona province I liked much better, and I enjoyed travelling the triangle route of the Cistercian monasteries, but I don't know this area very well. Just my very highly subjective, personal opinion though based on a short visit...

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:02 AM
trying

Thanks everyone. I have done some searching and the timeshare is in Formigales. But it seems to be really far from the wonderful spots you indicate we should see - it's 2.5 hrs. from Jaca, Arties, Salardu and Boi, Seu d'Urgell!! Is there any nice areas, villages that are closer to Formigales?<BR>Also, it seems to be about 5 hr. drive from Barcelona...is this a "good" drive? ie. after an overseas flight? Thanks.<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Helen

Further to my previous post, we stayed in a good 4* hotel, which was fine(in la pineda). Outside of hotel was bland, not at all spanish, not nice beach, and oil refinery very near. This was good compared to Salou, which was worse(slot machines, kareoke, fish and chips, fairground.) please bear in mind that we are a married thirty something couple with no children.We could find nowhere in vicinity to have a really good meal, the cambrils was about 1/2 hour ride away, and was a little better.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Maribel

Trying,<BR>Please don't try to do that 5 hr. drive after an overseas flight!! After an overseas flight, my max. length of drive would be 2 hrs. tops. I'm sorry, trying!-thought you were referring to El Formigal which is next to Sallent de Gallego, about 30 min. north of Jaca. Could you tell me where Formigales is located?-not sure...<BR>Thanks,<BR>Maribel

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:35 AM
cova

Hi Maribel and trying,<BR>there is a very small place (around 60 inhabitants) called Formigales in the Sobrarbe, in Huesca.<BR>I think that the time-sharing has to be in Formigal. I would really choose the Formigal place. Nice change from Barcelona, good scenery and good walks (the Midi d´Ossau, Ordesa, Pau for a country change), a spa in Panticosa.<BR>I´d recommend you to get the LP Hiking in Spain guide. It has some great itineraries for that zone.<BR>And in Jaca, a new restaurant, Lilium, nouvelle cuisine with a twist. And the desserts are to die for.<BR>Rgds, Cova

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
visitor

You mention Andorra - La Seu d'Urgell is fairly close to here I think. Not sure what else but you might want to consider Andorra?

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:44 AM
trying

Now I'm really confused. The website for the condo says it is in Formigal, Huesca. It's part of the Intervalworld group...The other one is in Canillo, Andorra. I just want to be close to the nicest villages and towns if I'm going to be here for a week!

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Sheila

I made the rash move of looking at a map, and it looks terrific. I have a copy of the Rough Guide to the Pyrenees which I recommend thoroughly. Unfortunately, I've lent it to someone.. but I think it's online.

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:30 PM
cova

Hi trying,<BR>after reading what you are your preferences, and seeing that you plan to go there after Barcelona, I´d stick with Formigal. It will be quiet, because the ski season is finished and the summer season is not yet fully on, but if you have a car, you can move around and enjoy lots of beautiful places. From the Bearn, as Maribel mentioned, to places like Ordesa National Park, San Juan de la Pe&ntilde;a, the castle of Loarre, Jaca and its romanic cathedral (and very good pastries) ...<BR>A couple of sites to let you think :<BR>http://www.formigal.com/<BR>http://www.pirineo.com/<BR>Rgds, Cova<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Maribel

Hi Cova,<BR>Thanks for the tip about Lilium in Jaca-have put it on my list. I just found tiny Formigales in my Michelin atlas, between Graus and Ainsa. Can't imagine why there would be a time-share there, but you never know. <BR><BR>Hi Trying,<BR>If your time share is indeed in El Formigal then go there, as Cova says. We've gone from Pau in the Bearn across the border to Sallent-Formigal easily. You'll have lots of majestic scenery up there, and to the east you'll find Torla, which is the western entrance to the Ordesa Park, for wonderful walks. The drive from Biescas to Torla on the very serpentine N260 is unforgettable. Also the valleys of Hecho and Anso to the west of Jaca are quite picturesque. And the old fashioned spa in Panticosa is like going back in time. There's enough to see and do in this area for a good long while. And as Cova says, you'll be arriving after the ski season and before the summer crowds arrive. <BR><BR>Hope we haven't confused you more!<BR>Maribel<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:31 AM
trying

Bless you Cova and Maribel! It's no wonder I'm confused. When I was putting "Formigal" into the search engine for Mapquest, it would use "Formigales" as the starting place. But if I put in "El Formigal", it gives me the correct spot! It is in fact about an hour from Jaca and Torla, 15 mins. from Panticosa. But when I put in Bearn, France, it shows it to be 12 hrs. away! As well, Graus is 3 hrs. and Ainsa is 2 hrs. Also I found more info on the website - the timeshare looks fairly basic. No pool etc. But if you good people think that's where I should go, this is a place I will now seriously consider. I just wish I could find someone who has stayed at this timeshare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -