Lauterbrunen/Jungfrau cable car or train pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a vacation (4 days) in Switzerland in July (2 adults and 3 teens) - staying in Lauterbrunen. What is the best and cheapest way ( train/cable car) to explore the Mountain Peaks including the Jungfrau? Is there a suitable pass we can buy and what is the cost?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM

You will need to take trains, cable cars, cable trains, and gondolas to explore the region. In some cases (like the high mountain peaks) there is only one way to get where you are going so you don't have a choice so no stress. You travels may involve busses too, depending on where you are going. And maybe even a boat if it strikes your fancy! All forms of transport are well coordinated and you can buy tickets for your entire day's journeys from the Lauterbrunnen train station in the morning.

There are many discount travel passes, all with different prices and features. You can read all about them at www.swisstravelsystem.com. The only way you can know for sure which is the most cost effective for you is to price out all the trips you plan to take (at www.sbb.ch, myjungfrau.ch, etc) then "do the maths". However, you run the risk of making yourself crazy if you go to all that trouble. My advice is to buy Half Fare Cards and be done with it. You will need one for each adult and maybe teens depending on their ages. Kids 15 and under ride free with a travelling adult that has an HFC. If one or more of your kids qualify be sure to ask for the free family add on when you buy your HFCs. You can buy HFCs in advance at swisstravelsystem web site, but you will incur a pretty stiff service/mailing charge (something like $40 USD). You can also buy them at major train stations, including those at Zurich and Geneva airports. How are you arriving in the country?

BTW, I have a 35+ page document of transport tips, things to do and see in the region, etc based on my 15 visits there. If you would like a copy send me your email address via private message (don't post your address up on the public forum)
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Great response KimSanJose...I am in the midst of planning the transport details for 2 weeks in Switzerland and a week in Italy so this and your other comments on related topics are very helpful. Are you still able to provide your document to others? I couldn't figure how to send you a private message, but would love to get a chance to view your other information and tips. Much appreciated!
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:28 PM

To KimSanJose

I will be based in Grindewald for three days in early July and definitely want to get to the top of the Jungfraujoch.

Could you please answer a few questions:

Are advance train reservations necessary?

Can I leave from the Grindewald station? Or, will I need to travel to another town?

Is the train the only way to get to the Jungfraujoch? Are there cable cars?

Thanks very much
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:07 PM

darnestown

You can leave from Grindelwald taking a train to Kleine Scheidegg. From here the Jungfrau Railway climbs to the station at Eigergletscher , well known for its mountain restaurant and polar dog kennels. The trip continues through the Eiger tunnel to the stations at Eigerwand and Eismeer, with a five minute halt at each.Enjoy spectacular sightseeing through large observation windows hewn from solid Alpine rock. And then the arrival on the Jungfraujoch, in the heart of a glorious glacier world on the very roof of Europe!

We did not make a reservation.

No cable cars.
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM

You can't reserve even if you want to....
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM

I arranged to get a copy of all the amazing information from KimSanJose a few years ago and we have taken it with us twice to Wengen - really helpful.
I don't know how to send a private message on this site but managed on TA where this poster also provides valuable and generous help.

Happy planning and have a wonderful time in this fantastic place!