Search

Costa Brava?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:15 AM
Ian

Costa Brava?

Hi, I'm heading to Spain in August for my honeymoon and am considering a couple of nights in a beach town north of Barcelona. I've a bit about Tamariu, Llafranc, and Calella de Parafrugel. Any tips on where to stay or if it's even worth it?

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:51 AM
Maira

My brother spend his first wedding anniversary at a seaside town north (?) of Barcelona called Lloret del Mar. He thought it was a charming, historical, beautiful and very inexpensive place. He recommends it highly.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:04 AM
Maira

Ian--- The name of the town is actually Lloret De Mar; it does makes a difference when using the web search engines... <BR> <BR>Suggest the following site: <BR>http://www.publintur.es/GuiaCata/Cbr...ret/Lloret.htm <BR> <BR>Word of warning: You may already know this, but for what is worth, the month of August is the traditional summer vacation month for Europeans. Huge masses of Europeans (specially Northern Europeans) love to vacation on the coasts of Spain and Italy. Early reservations are strongly recommended.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 08:19 AM
Myriam

Lloret de Mar is a very lively and sometimes overcrowded town. <BR>I would prefer a smaller town like Tossa de Mar or even more north (Palamos, Palafrugell or Estartit).

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:47 PM
topper

!

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Dan

Hotel Diana in Tossa. On the beach, beautiful town, next to the ruins and everything else, and you'll love it. Patio or beach side -- doesn't really matter. But call now. Waiting will be a disaster. If you look, you can find pictures on the web of the town, the beachfront, etc. etc. Ph: 34-972-34-1886

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:45 AM
michele

Check-out Hostal de la Gavina in S'Agaro. Gorgeous antique laden place with old world atmosphere and new world conveniences. I believe the same family has owned it for years. You can read a description of it on Karen Brown's website. If you don't stay there, go over to walk the grounds or sip a cocktail. <BR> <BR>By the way, not to discourage you , but an English friend of mine refers to the Costa Brava in summer as the "Costa del eggs and chips"--there are lots of tourists. <BR> <BR>Michele <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Maribel

Ian, <BR>The northern area of the Costa Brava around Pals and the tiny coves of Calella de Palafrugell, Tamariu, Llanfranc and Aiguablava is the poshest section-upscale and lovely-not the rowdy, ugly, mass package tour concrete jungle that you'll find now from Arenys de Mar to Lloret (that area has indeed become the Catalan Torremolinos. In the Pals area you'll find the summer mansions and beautifully restored 18c farmhouses of the wealthy Catalans and a more sophisticated summer clientele, mostly Spanish but it's also very popular with Germans. <BR>My husband and I spent our second honeymoon in the area in '96. Besides the Hostal de la Gavina (www.lhw.com), other honeymoon spots worth looking into in that area are the deluxe Mas Torrent (www.relaischateaux.fr) in the countryside near Pals (but just a short drive from beach), the Sa Punta or La Costa in Pals and the impeccable family-run Hotel Aiguablava (mainly an upscale Catalan, repeat clientele) with its beautiful location on a cala across from the modern and more sterile/impersonal Parador. Near Figueres in the heart of the Emporda (Catalunya's Tuscany) we stayed at the <BR>18c Mas Pau (fabulous food). <BR>The Hotel Llevant in Llanfranc is a dependable, moderate family-run choice-easy on the budget and right on the beach (nice cuisine). <BR>See them all at www.lugaresdivinos.com <BR>Click on the red "los lugares" on the right side of frame. <BR>Caveat: ALL areas of ALL coasts in Spain will be jam-packed in Aug. If you can't change your dates, please reserve ASAP <BR>and have several options. At this point you may have trouble finding accomodations. <BR>Hope this helps, <BR>Maribel

Old May 25th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Joann

Just returned from Spain - Barcelona and north up to Cadaques. Girona was quite nice and I spent a low $26 for a wonderful room with private bath - clean and upscale at Hotel Peninsular. I stayed at Hotel Monterrey in Roses - again an exceptional high rise hotel for about $36. I loved the area to the north of Barcelona and wished I had spent more time there than in Barcelona. I was smart; however, to book a room in Sitges and commute to Barcelona at rates less than what I would have paid in Barcelona. <BR> <BR>Lloret de Mar from what I understand is more visited by British and you can find plenty of fish and chips! L'Estartit has a maisa that looked interesting although I didn't stay there (L'Masia). Roses was pleasant and the Ciutadella (old city/fortress) was a nice historical site. I ate at La Cala and the zarzuela (mixed shellfisth and fish) was excellent! No, I decided to spend my money elsewhere other than the famed El Bulli! Cadaques is not the high-rise beach that Roses is, and is quite nice with its narrow streets. <BR>

Old May 26th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Maribel

To the top for Vlad's honeymoon.