costa brava

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:51 AM
valeria

costa brava

This summer (end of June) I will be visiting Spain. At the end of my trip I will be in Figureus and Cadaques. How much time should I spend in these places? After Cadaques I would like to spend a few (4 or 5) relaxing days on one of the beaches of Costa Brava before heading to France. Where on Costa Brava should I go?

Thank you so much.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
ohsalva

All I remember of Figueres is the Salvador Dali museum and the trip out to the castle he redid for his wife and then he lived there after her death! 2 restaurants are also quite famous.Cadaques is just a continuation of the fame brought to it by the presence of Dali.You are so close to France you will have to head south to enjoy the beaches,Tossa de mar,Lloret de mar wre nice.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:36 AM
montse

valeria,
In Cadaques, you'll already be on the most northern stretch of the Costa Brava. Another pretty area with tiny cove beaches is Aiguablava. You could spend 3-4 days there easily, using it as a base for touring and relaxing. The nearby towns of Llafranc, Calella de Palafrugell and Tamariu have less expensive lodging than Aiguablava, if cost is a concern. The family owned Hotel Llevant in Llafranc is nice, friendly, dependable. Book now, though, if you hope to get a room, any room, for late June-every hotel in the area gets a heavy repeat clientele.
Lloret is way overdeveloped, a concrete jungle and IMHO, most of it is pretty hideous, like Benidorm and Torremolinos. Don't go there if you want to see the real beauty of the Costa Brava.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Myriam

Cadaqués is on the beach! Between Cadaqués and the French border there is a place called Llança with a nice beach. Just south of Cadaqués is Roses (Rosas) and further south La Escala and Estartit. All have nice beaches.
You could as well stay at one of the French beach resorts like St.-Cyprien or Port-Leucate/Port Barcarès.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:17 AM
Lesley

Hi Valeria, we have had a holiday home in this area for the past 15 years. It is beautiful. Besides the Dali museum, there is little to see in Figueras (and everything shuts down at about 1.30pm until about 4.30pm). I go with Montse, the very nicest coastal towns are Llafranc, Timariu and Calella de Palafrugel, (not to be confused with the Calella of package holiday fame nearer to Barcelona and Lloret de Mar). Llafranc is my favourite, it is absolutely unspoiled. There are no package holidays and only three or four small family run hotels. The bay is small and hemmed in by pine covered hills, (which prevent further development). I think you will need to book as Spanish schools close for the summer holidays around 23rd June, and everyone decamps to the coast or mountains.