Search

Costa Barva

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Beachy

Costa Barva

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Columbus- Playa D'Aro on the Costa Brava? What is the town like? How are the beaches??<BR>Thanks!!!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Alec

Probably the least interesting resort in that part of Costa Brava: concrete, tacky and overdeveloped. Beaches are fine: gently shelving coarse sand. Lots of families and day trippers. Haven't stayed at that hotel. If you can afford it, s'Agaro a few miles south is smart and pleasant, as is Sant Feliu de Guixols, a working port with an old monastery church and plenty of Spanish atmosphere. Or go further north around Calella de Palafrugell: lovely coves among tamarind trees, and quieter.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:16 AM
beachy

Thanks Alec,<BR>Is it really that bad? I'm booked there for two nights in early September. All I really care about is a nice beach, though a little atmosphere wouldn't hurt...<BR>Any other suggestions?<BR>Thnx

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Alec

For a couple of nights you will survive, and if travelling by car, any number of wonderful places are close by. The drive north from San Feliu to Tossa is absolutely spectacular (choose nice weather) and has some lovely secluded beaches.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Beachy

Thanks again Alec,<BR>We won't have a car. We were planning on taking the bus or train... How crowded do you think it will be the second week of September?<BR><BR>B

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Alec

I was in the area last August, and it was very busy (not impossibly so...). By second week of September it should have quietened down quite a bit, while the weather is still warm enough for a swim. Obviously a car would be a help, but local bus companies (mainly Pujol and Sarfa) run reasonable service between resorts, and taxis aren't too expensive.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:00 AM
beachy

Thanks again, Alec.<BR>Anyone else ever stayed at Hotel Colombus?