Cost taxi to Chernobyl from Kiev?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of a tour, my wife and I could spend $65 each to take a half day trip to the Chernobyl Museum and the Babiy Yar memorial. I think we'd rather spend all the time at the museum. Should it be easy and inexpensive to get from the Kiev Hotel (probably Hotel Rus) via taxi and use a guide hired at the museum? Thanks.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi td,

Am I correct that you would rather spend the day at Chernobyl than visit Babi Yar?

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:45 AM
ira

PS,
Have you asked your hotel?

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you won't be needing that night light when you get back.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM

Don't forget your geiger counter...
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM

Babiy Yar is in the suburbs reachable via the cheap and efficient Kiev metro system. It is located near the Dorohozhychi metro stop.

The Chernobyl museum is in the city and also easily reachable by metro. I wouldn't spend $130 for the transportation only since the metro costs will be just a few dollars.

maytraveller
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have contacted the hotel, Ira, but haven't heard back from them. And yes, I know the horrific story of Babiy Yar and feel one afternoon divided between these two sites would be too skimpy.
Tomboy, this is just the museum, not the city.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Maytraveler,
Just what I needed to know. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:43 AM
ira

Hi td,

This might help you
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...yl.Museum.html

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM

topdoggerel:

We've recently(Nov) returned from Russia, Belarus and Kiev. One of my research missions in Kiev was to walk through both the Podil District where my dad was born in 1900..and Kontraktova Metro Station is in the midst of it. Easy metro ride for less than a dollar, from the station very close to the Rus. Once you've seen the museum you may wish to take the funicular back to Andriivsky (St. Andrews)...and catch the metro (as suggested by MayTraveler, above))to Babi Yar.

Both can be done in a short day....no need of a guide for either one. That price you were quoted is unconscionable!

Babi Yar has been reduced to a beautiful park with only pretty walkways and landscaping to see..the ravine has long since been filled in by several mudslides and man..only one large Jewish monument, a menorah with inscriptive plaque... and also a very poignant statue commemorating the massacre, at the park's enrance...three children in various poses. A major percentage of those killed in one bloody day (33,000+)were children, and older citizens of Kiev and vicinity.

We stayed at the Hotel Rus (we were on our own)..very adequate and reasonable...excellent restaurant, and a gigantic buffet breakfast included. It's on a scenic hill overlooking the city, and is an easy walk to major in-town sites.

Don't be spooked by by the excessive security at The Rus..like 10-12 young plain clothes men (actually street clothes like jeans and sweater, etc)sitting around the lobby and three blacksuit guys standing in the vestibule at all times. I befriended a staff memeber who confided in me that there has been bad blood between the new owners and the previous owners, among other things not mentioned. Hence the overkill on security..or was it?
If you want to see a nice selection of pics of Kiev, please write. I don't plan to post them yet.

Stu T. ([email protected]
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Stu T, what a wonderful explanation and guide to the situation at the Rus and for the museum. Just the sort of reason I love these forums. And the Kontraktova Metro Station is near the Chernobyl museum? Guess I'd better get a good street map and metro map of Kiev.
Thanks again for all the help.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM

Top:

Yes the metro station is quite close...a little walk if i recall.
You're in the flatlands when in Podil...most of the rest of Kiev is hilly.

The Museum of the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945( is well worth a visit..dramatic, full of military equipment outdoors and gigantic (62m) of "Motherland Statue"...and the nearby Lavra Monastery is a fascinating half day visit..lots of walking about. There are taxis at he entrance that can whiz you to the aforementioned War museum (about $6)..

When are you going?

As I said, if you send me an email, I will immediately forward the extensive Kiev pics which are quite telling. I probably won't post until after the first of the year..too lazy to write a trip report to go with them. In fact I may just write a skimpy report and include the pix.

Stu T.

[email protected]
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM

topdoggerel:

I second Stu T's recommendation of the Lavra Monastery and caves. The monastery complex has, in addition to the caves, a couple of small museums, the most interesting a display on miniatures by the Russian artist Mykola Syadristy. Each exhibit is viewed through a microscope--such as a preserved flea shod with 6 tiny golden shoes, a complete chess set on the head of a pin, etc.

Enjoy your visit! Kiev is a beatiful city.

maytraveller
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice, Stu and Maytraveler. The monastery and miniatures museums were already on my list. Stuart has an impressive set of photos. Looking forward to our trip now, with all this additional helpful info.
TD
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
RJD

So what is the radiation level at Chernobyl these days? Nothing more than a good sun tan, right?
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

RJD: Sadly, no. An exclusion zone of high radioactivity surrounds the old reactor site.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM

My Russian friends suggest we NEVER use a taxi in russia due to crime. Hire a driver from the Hotel instead, or use Public transit.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Maytraveler:

>>>Mykola Syadristy<<<
Thank you, thank you, for this info on the miniatures...I thought I had written the name in my journal, but it turned out that I didn't.

stu t.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM

In re-reading the posts above, seems like several posters thought that the museum is in what's left of the forlorn city of Chernobyl...no, it is in the heart of the Podil district of Kiev.

The subject city is about 140 mile round trip on secondary roads, north of Kiev.

I was told that one needs special permission to visit Chernobyl, under very tight security. We had no interest in doing so.

stu t
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Topdog:
(in answer to Frank's comment)

Have no qualms about riding in Kiev taxis...we took several and found the drivers to be helpful and in some cases they spoke enough English, combined with my rusty Russian...had no problems with taxis in Moscow, St. Pete, Minsk, Brest and Kiev. I had never received any warnings from my several Russian friends....nor did I hesitate in riding in beat-up old Lada taxis during two prior visits.

stu