Cosmo's Italy Tour

Search

Cosmo's Italy Tour

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo's Italy Tour

I Just booked a cosmo's italy tour, any advice?? My husband and I are going, we are late 20's and have never been to Italy. We ned as much advice as possible! What's the best way to around when we are not "touring" with the group. we are taking the splendors of italy tour. THANKS!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Give us a little more info on the tour. Where does it go, how many days in each place, what's included in the tour, etc.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM

So what towns are you going to that you will have free time?
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Problem with this type of tour is the location of the hotels they use. Fleming in Rome is about 3.5 miles north of city center. From what I'm reading there's bus #32 that can get you to/from there.

For Venice, you're staying at the Poppi in Mira, on the mainland. You basically have to go with the group and will be very difficult to go to/from Venice by your own.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM

You need to look up the hotels you are going to stay and see if there is any public transportation nearby. One way for Cosmos to offer low price is to use hotels that are not near city center or tourist area.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Don't be put off by the naysayers here...cosmos tours are most reputable and you will probably see a lot more than you would be able to do by yourselves...how much free time there will be depends on the exact itinerary I don't have in front of me...

In general, these tours always include an orientation site seeing in the large cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, then you have the choice of free time or doing what is called optional tours...they may also give you the chance for some free time to do what you please in terms of shopping, not that there is much to buy at a bargain rate...

Dinners will be included while outside the big cities....these meals will be...food but don't expect anything exciting...drinks will be extra at the included meals (there is nothing to keep you from trying to find a local restaurant but outside the big cities the hotels, while most charming and clean, will probably be in the middle of nowhere)...in the big cities where meals are not included you can either eat at the hotel (ughj) take local transportation into an area with restaurants or in most cases there will be optional dinners with entertainment and all the wine, beer, soft drinks you can put down...in my experience most of these meals will be quite good and you will get transportation to and fro.....if you have a good tour director, and you probably will, he will have lots of suggestions of things you can do on your own.

Sit back, relax, and have a good time.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM

I don't think we're naysayers. My parents have gone with Cosmos several times recently and they enjoy them.

Our point is that the OP needs to know where the hotels are, and then plan if it's possible to get around on their own during the free time. That was her original question anyways.

Then she can figure out how by searching the hotel's website as well as public transportation sites of the particular cities. In some cases, like Venice, I'd say it's impossible.

The tour may give you time to roam around a little bit, but you have to get back on the coach to get back to the hotel.

I didn't look up all the hotels, but I hope those in Florence and Sienna will be closer to the center of town.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM

I looked just out of curiosity; the tour plan gives the location as "Florence area," not city of Florence..
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM

rkkwan..

I don't necessarily mean anybody who responded in this thread....too many times on the board as a whole I read from people who have never been on a tour put down the tours like they have the slightest clue as to just what happens on a tour...I've done it both ways (not this tour) and am very aware of the pros and cons either way.

I believe that for many, tours represent the best bang for the buck, no worries at all at the expense of a little bit of flexibility but I still think that most tours, especially those that are not of the if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium type, namely those that concentrate on one country or region, do give a nice balance between tour activities and time to do things independently.

I will agree with you,though, that especially on a cosmos tour which is considered tourist class, hotels in the big cities iwll not be in the center of town and for the most part one will be at the mercy of the schedule of the coach to get between the center of town and the hotel; although in some cases (I don't know the Rome hotel but Rome public transport is pretty putrid anyway) there will be public transport from hotel to the center of town...in this you're quite correct a little research might be necessary to see how feasible it will be to go off from the hotel if there is nothing to do at the hotel or you don't want to do whatever optional tour is available during the evening.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Florence - Europa is next to the station at Signa. Train every few minutes and take ~18 minutes to get to Florence S.M.N., the main station.

Or Meridiana, which is about 1.5 miles north of the Duomo. I am sure there are buses.