Search

Corsica???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 08:28 AM
clay

Corsica???

<BR>I've just seen a program on the travel channel on a sail around the island of Corsica. It looks very inviting. Can anyone offer advice? We're in our late 40's and both like good food, nice accomodations, hiking and exploring, history, relaxing on the beach and a good book. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 12:35 PM
Dori

Clay, <BR>I can give you a report when I come back - going there in Nov for the first time (although that is probably not the ideal time of year to go). We are combining this with a trip to Italy and will travel to Corsica by ferry. You may want to check out www.corsica-online.com to drool over their pictures. Email me if you'd like some more Corsica related websites. I've been madly researching this.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 02:09 AM
Jan

We have had two holidays in Corsica and really love the island. First time was at Ile Rousse near Calvi on the north west coast,plenty to see and do, lovely beaches and inland places to explore like the Balagne (sp?) area. Second time we stayed on the bay of Propriano in the south west of the island, personally I liked this area better but that may have been more to do with the perfect weather we had and the gorgeous place we stayed! Again nice beaches and plenty of history from menhirs to the wonderful cliff top town of Bonifacio. Inland is pretty good too nice mountain villages like Zonza and scenery like the Col de Bavella ( one of the Grand Randonee long distance footpaths passes through this area)). When we were there prices were on a par with the South of France i.e. more expensive than the rest of France. You really need a car to see the island though there are trains and also a sort of electric tram that runs from Calvi to Ile Rousse. The roads can be pretty twisty in places so what looks like a short distance on a map can in fact take some time to drive. It really is a super place for a holiday.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 10:40 AM
Dori

Jan, <BR>Thank you so much for the report. Did you have a favorite place that you stayed? I am still deciding exactly where we will stay while there. Calvi and Ile Rousse looked interesting to me. We will probably also visit Ajaccio. <BR> <BR>I'm curious - how did you travel to Corsica - air or ferry? Would be interested in your experience if you took the ferry (how was it?) and what airport you flew into if you traveled by plane. I am looking in to both options now. <BR>Thanks again!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 12:00 PM
Jan

Dori, We flew to Corsica on both occasions, firstly to Calvi and secondly to Figari in the south near to Bonifacio.Both holidays were package tours with charter flights mainly because at the time that was the only way to get a direct flight from the UK to Corsica. Things may be different now and if we visited again, as we hope to, I would look to book things independently. We stayed at a hotel called the Funtana Marina in Ile Rousse about 5-10 minutes walk from the town, it was a few years ago so don't have any up to date info. on it. On the second occasion we stayed in a wonderful villa near to Campo Morro but as it was part of a package holiday I am not sure if you could rent it on an independant basis.Personally I wasn't that impressed with Ajaccio a bit too much 'strip development' on the outskirts for my liking. If I can help further let me know.