Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cornwall... Penzance, St. Ives, Looe/Polperro

Mar 5th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Michelle

I will be returning to London after 7 years and was thinking of visiting Cornwall for a couple of days... train to Penzance and stay overnight in order to explore Penzance and St. Ives. does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay including the Abbey Hotel? is it walking distance from main sites? and then take some sort of public transportation to Looe/Polperro to stay overnight.... again, any recommended places to stay? I'm looking for good locations and charming atmosphere. any other tips for the area would be greatly appreciated. I will not be renting a car...

May 9th, 2001, 12:53 PM
michelle/nyc

hasn't anyone been to these areas?? I was surprised not to have any responses.

May 9th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Linda

I've been to this area, but stayed in St. Ives, which I really liked by the way. The visit is worth it. Penzance is neat, as is Mousehole. Whiile in the vicinity, think about visiting the English version of Mont St. Michele, outside Penzance. Really neat.

May 9th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Judy

I have been to Cornwall several times,In Penzance,I always stay at B&B,(there are several )on Regency Terrace,The short street is facing the sea, about 10 minutes walk from train and bus station,5 minutes to all the shops.It is very easy to travel around by bus.Tate in St.Ives is such an interesting architecture.There are some beautiful gardens in Penzance and Falmouth area worth visiting too.

May 12th, 2001, 04:39 AM
SteveJames

Hello Michelle,

Oh dear, - you're not getting much help on Looe and Polperro, are you! I've visited both several times as a day-trip but never to stay overnight. I expect you've already found these sites, which have info on accommodation and buses, etc:-
www.polperro.org
www.looe.org

Both places are very attractive:
Polperro is a picturesque old fishing village with narrow streets, quaint old houses, and rugged coastal scenery. It's traffic-free.
Looe is larger, and is a fishing town and pleasant holiday resort.
There's a bus service linking the two.

Let me know if I can be of more help...

Steve

May 12th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Gordon R

A great day out on a sunny day is to walk from Looe to Polperro along the coastal path. You'll need stout shoes, but apart from a few steep bits, its a relatively easy 6 mile walk along one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in the UK. There's a cafe half way along. When you get to Polperro enjoy an excellent lunch of fish and chips and a beer before taking the bus back, or if you're still feeling energetic, walk back to Looe.

May 24th, 2001, 09:55 PM
JS

To find American plan (self-catering) accommodation in Cornwall, try:
http://www.easycottages.com/wherefw.htm

May 25th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Gordon R

If you are only staying for a couple of days, you'll be hard pushed to find self-catering accommodation. Even some smaller hotels may be reluctant to take a booking for less than one week during the peak holiday season in the summer.

May 25th, 2001, 06:19 AM
jules

Try the CARNSON house in Penzance (off the internet). It is a small, unassuming B&B with good food and nice people, resonable and right accross the street from the train station. can get local trains and busses to almost everywhere else. We did, and had a wonderful time in Cornwall, even tho it was winter.

May 25th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Thyra

Actually Penzance is one of my favorite places in the UK. The entire Cornish pennisula is a great place to explore iron age excavations, dolmans and the like. In Penzance be sure to eat a pasty.. they even come in Vegetarian, though typically they are made with meat and onions. They are cheap and really fill you up! As mentioned above be sure to visit Mt. St. Michael.. and if you have a few extra pounds take the audio tour! It's a hoot.. very informative, but the best part is the end of the tape, when the 19th Baronet of the Mount welcomes you personally! St. Ives is known for it's spa's and many people in the UK visit this area during their holidays.
Also on the Cornish Pennisula and worth visits if you have time are the ruins at Tintangel, (alleged birthplace of Kind Arthur, though this aspect of tourism is kind of done to death, it's spectacular visually regardless) Lands End which is kind of ruined by a children's theme park nevertheless is stunning beyond belief, in terms of dramatic scenery. If you stay in Penzance it's definately worth it to visit Mousehole, which is a charming place, and a drive a long the coast in that area is also interesting especially if you are familiar with the colorful local history. During the Napoleonic Wars Cornwall had quite an industry going in black-market goods from France the coast line is full of tucked away coves and caves where smugglers would stash their goods. Another interesting thing to do if you are based in Penzance is to get a pamphlet on self walking tours that you can take. Check out the 12 Merry Maidens which are supposedly 12 girls who danced on the sabbath and were turned into stones for their sin. They are by the roadside and IMHO just as interesting as Stonehenge, though far more accessable and on the day we were there we were all alone.
I usually just stay at any registered B and B and have not booked in advance, though as mentioned above if it's a bank holiday in the UK you may want to book early.

May 25th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Paul

Hey guys - look at the date! This post is 3 weeks old!

May 25th, 2001, 09:11 AM
David White

Michelle,

For info on Polperro, take a look at this website:

http://www.crumplehorn-inn.co.uk/

Its run by Andrew Taylor, who is an expert on travel to the area. He should be able to help you.

I second the favorable opinions expressed by others about Cornwall. Penzance CAN be a bit touristy, especially during the busy season, but it is still interesting. St. Michael's Mount, a National Trust site, is nearby and very much worth a visit. You may want to go to St. Ives, which has a fine beach and many artistic connections.

The rocky coast itself, is perhaps the main reason to visit. Hiking the coastal path is breathtaking.

Gardens in Cornwall are also a highlight, including a mamouth new enclosed garden near St. Austel.

Hope this is helpful,

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com
[email protected]

May 25th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Andrew Taylor

Hi Michelle

I have been guided here by David White, as I help out on MSN Expedia Newsgroups. My own website will tell you about the Inn and Polperro. I also have an extensive Travel page, which explains how to get to the area by any and every method of travel, including the very scenic Looe Valley line, which wends its way through the valley from Liskeard, and along Looe river.

If I can be of an further help, just e-mail me, and regardless, I hope you have a wonderful time in Cornwall.

Andrew Taylor. Crumplehorn Inn & Mill
http://www.crumplehorn-inn.co.uk
a nice place to stay
~

Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:49 PM
topping

For lack of a less offensive way to get it up for Buzz