Search

Cornwall Advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall Advice

Hello!

I am traveling to the UK for the first time in a few weeks. I am spending 7 days, and I want to spend 2 in Cornwall.

I have decided to take the night train from Paddington to St Ives (via St Erth) Tuesday night, arriving into St Ives on Wednesday morning. I have lodging accommodation in St Ives on Wednesday night. I plan to take an evening train out of St Ives on Thursday evening.

I want to keep my scope small enough so that I can ensure that I enjoy my time, but I also want to see as much as I can. I am in good shape, so long walks/hikes are totally okay, I've even considered going on a long run to try to get a feel for the area! I am mostly interested in seeing some history, the countryside, the sea/seaside/beaches, and getting a taste for the culture and art (I chose St Ives for its art galleries in the case that the weather is too wet and windy for much outdoor exploration). I'm a bit of an amateur photographer, and I'd love to find the most picturesque places to practice!

I have looked into the bus schedule and am considering taking the bus (16 or 17 it looks like) from St Ives to Penzance (perhaps on Wednesday after I arrive and drop my things on my lodging). I was wondering if someone could give me an estimate of how long it'd take to see St Michael's Mount/Marazion and/or Mousehole and whether it's worth trying to squeeze any/all of that in, or whether I'd be better suited to stay on the north coast and explore east and west of St Ives (hikes to Zennor and/or Lelant etc.)?

Any advice you have would be most welcome! I know it's quite likely that my weather could be wet/cold in mid-late March (or not!), but I'm relatively accustomed to traveling with such conditions (with the understanding that my camera may have to sit at my lodging accommodation if the weather is too wet). I plan to pack layers, including a waterproof Patagonia jacket with a hood and good sneakers for my walks.

Thank you!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:24 AM

In case there is any confusion, this OP is a new Fodorite, not me, the old sassafrass. Of course, there is no rule about names that are very close, but perhaps it would be less confusing if the OP chose something else.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I just chose my dog's name for anonymity. I'll try to change it now.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:52 AM

Don't miss the third entry on this list of sightseeing targets accessible by bus: The Bedruthan Steps. Marvelously atmospheric.

http://www.cornwallpublictransport.i...ed_tourist.asp
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm going to delete my account so I don't know if this thread will disappear. I can't otherwise change my username...
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 06:14 AM

I am the OP here, and have changed my username, but I'd still love recommendations!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:06 AM

Oh, WanderingWombat, thank you, and I am sorry, especially now I know it was your dog's name. Mine is for my favorite cat. My cat was the color of Sassafrass tea, which I had as a child.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:38 AM

No worries! Sassafras is clearly a great pet's name! Mines an Australian Cattle Dog with no resemblance to the tea. She was named by the shelter from which we adopted her and the name stuck because of the first syllable and its applicability to her personality!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:44 AM

Fondly remembering having lived in Australia for a good chunk of my life, I congratulate you on the new name. Next to the unfortunate Tassie Devil, the wombat is an unsung hero of mine... Welcome!