Search

Cornwall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall

Starting to plan 5 day trip to Cornwall. Would like to stay on coast so we can go out for day trips. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM

I'd suggest Penzance or St. Ives if you plan to use public transportation. There's a local bus with a circular route that includes both towns plus Land's End and everywhere in between. I enjoyed both towns and loved that bus which stopped by my hotel on the edge of St. Ives.

I stayed at this small hotel: http://www.thurlestoneguesthouse.co.uk/
If you plan to have a car they have parking in front. It's walking distance from St. Ives along the Coast Path and the train stops just down the hill.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM

When is your trip to Cornwall? The 300 bus which makes a circle from St. Ives to Lands End to Penzance back to St. Ives only runs in the summer. I really recommend it as a great route to see the coast of Cornwall. Sit up on the upper deck, in front. It is breathtaking how close you get to buildings and buses going the other way
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 12:05 AM

The 300 bus, if you are there at the right time, is one of the most exhilarating bus rides in the country. The only problem with St Ives and Penzance though is that they are in the far west of the county. If you want somewhere a bit more central, Mevagissey is very nice, and is close to St Austell which is on the main train line.

For a look at the places on the south coast of Cornwall, see
http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com/s...label/Cornwall
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:38 AM

I'd vote for Fowey- lovely little town and not too far down into Cornwall. You can check the weather forecast each day and head for north or south coasts as the weather is often different. Another very pleasant & lively place is Falmouth.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi carole,

what time of year are you planning to visit us?

in fact if you want to do day-trips, it's worth thinking about NOT staying in the coast, as that would give you the chance to see a different bit of the coast every day. Cornwall is quite spread out, and if you stay at, say, Penzance, it's a long way from Fowey, and vice versa.

possibly the most central place to stay is Truro, which being the county town [technically a city but a pretty small one] is a good place to visit in its own right, but is also very well placed for visits all around the county - very few places are more than an hour's drive away.

if you decided to stay on the coast, Falmouth would be my suggestion - loads of accommodation in every category from small B&Bs to 4 star hotels, the beach, boat-trips, and easy access to the south coast and north coast too.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 08:34 AM

When I think of Cornwall I think of the coast and while the suggestion of staying in Truro is a practical one, to be sure, I'd opt for waking up every morning with a view of the sea and then sometimes travel a bit further for the rest.

I also stayed a few days in Falmouth and liked it. But I liked staying in the far west better. It's always a matter of personal preferences and maybe if I'd had a car mine would have been different. But I loved the bus, loved having the train close by for day trips further afield and I loved the openness of the landscape.

One day, deciding to go to Land's End, I took the bus, got off at Sennen Cove and walked the last couple of miles along the Coast Path. The landscape was stunning, the path uncrowded and what most struck me when I arrived officially at Land's End was the crowd and the utterly mundane small development there for the tourists. If I'd arrived by car it would have been so disappointing. But I'd arrived on foot with the aid of that lovely bus and it made my experience a world removed from the other reality. Not having a car, in this case, made all the difference.

After years of extensive travel around the world if I had to choose one good lesson it might be that it isn't necessary to see everything in a country or even part of a country to have had the very best experience. I try now to remember it and opt instead to see a much smaller part and see it well. Seeing it well often means walking and reducing one's view to an intimate part of landscape and the conversations one might have with fellow walkers along the path, very satisfying the way driving distances may not be. I have gone on, haven't I.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You haven't given us much info -- what sorts of things/places do you hope to see/do?

If you want explore different parts of Cornwall, staying out in the far west will make it very difficult to almost impossible.

And "<i>Would like to stay on coast so we can go out for day trips.</i>" is sort of at cross purposes. The coast is gorgeous -- but being on some parts of the coast can make it more difficult getting to other to other parts of the region.

The driving is slow to very slow, so if you are out near the western tip -- seeing things in eastern Cornwall will be an all day slog.

I'd personally choose something more central (the internal bits are very pretty too)

Truro is a good choice. But if you definitely want to stay on/near the water, then around Falmouth makes a lot of sense.

Or another option is stay 2 days in one area and 3 days in another. It could be 2 days out in the far west (but NOT Land's End) and 3 days in the east -- like near Fowey. That way you could see a lot at a more leisurely pace w/o hours in the car every day.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 01:03 PM

One day, deciding to go to Land's End, I took the bus, got off at Sennen Cove and walked the last couple of miles along the Coast Path. The landscape was stunning, the path uncrowded and what most struck me when I arrived officially at Land's End was the crowd and the utterly mundane small development there for the tourists. If I'd arrived by car it would have been so disappointing>>

I ALWAYS suggest the guests and visitors that they park at Sennen and walk to Land's end, rather than driving. but you do have more freedom with a car - we recently did a lovely drive from Penzance down to Porthcurno to see the Minack, along to Sennen via Cape Cornwall, and up to the Gurnard's head. then we drove back to Penzance over the centre of the peninsular, but we could just as easily have carried onto St. ives, or even Padstow.

jj- personally i would not recommend Fowey to someone who only had 2-3 days there, because it is so out of the way, that it DOES take hours to get anywhere else. St Mawes suffers from the same problem. in fact, i can't think of anywhere on the east coast of the county that doesn't suffer from the same problem. Hence my recommendation of Truro!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Another vote for north Falmouth. Love the place, would live there in a flash but for family.

Be very careful in planning. It cannot be emphasised enough how difficult some of the road system can be. Staying in areas around say Helford can add 45 minutes onto day trips, caused by the tiny single track, traffic packed roads.

B&B, hotel or cottage?
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:36 AM

NORTH Falmouth, humpty? not sure quite where that is!

but you're right about not staying in some of the little out of the way places. they are awfully quaint, but mostly have managed to stay that way because no-one can be bothered to do the dreadful drive to get there. We rejected one lovely village as a place to live as i simply couldn't bear the thought of the drive to work and back every day.

Falmouth and Penzance win out because as well as being lovely in their own right, they are also vey well placed for seeing lots of other places.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Sorry Ann

Should have typed area to the north of Falmouth.

Mylor?
Flushing?

Easy to get to Falmouth, Truro and onto the A road system.

These are lovely :

http://www.creeksidecottages.co.uk/home

Even WE got lost in the back roads around Port Navas....and then met the milk tanker on a single track road with steep side and on a hill. Ever tried reversing a Volvo half a mile?
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM

While Falmouth and Penzance are both fine places I preferred Penzance for the following reason. The center of Falmouth is a sort of strip running parallel to the harbor and felt congested with tourists while the center Penzance is spread over a much larger area so was more pleasant to walk around without the concentration of visitors in one area. It felt more "real" in that it seemed there were more residents than visitors as I walked around the town.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM

The center of Falmouth is a sort of strip running parallel to the harbor and felt congested with tourists while the center Penzance is spread over a much larger area so was more pleasant to walk around without the concentration of visitors in one area.>>

in fact that's only one part of Falmouth, but I can see what you mean. but it is a better place than Penzance for getting to the rest of the county.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Yes, Falmouth is more toward the center of Cornwall but it very much depends on what Carole plans to do with her 5 days. And there's quite a lot to see from wherever she decides to base herself. For instance, while I stayed in St. Ives it was very easy for me to take a day trip by train and foot to the National Trust property Trerice, outside Newquay. I went by train to Quintrell Downs, then by foot to the house, had a leisurely visit & lunch and returned to St. Ives on the train. Looking at the map one would guess such a trip might be better done from Falmouth but it was just as convenient from St. Ives.

So, not sure I buy one place being better in that way than another. I do, however, feel that one place will be more appealing than others as I felt an affinity for the west of Cornwall.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Looking at the map one would guess such a trip might be better done from Falmouth but it was just as convenient from St. Ives. >>

mmm - as both St. Ives and Trerice are on the north coast, I would immediately have thought that Trerice was in fact easier to reach from St. Ives than from Falmouth - there tends to be that sort of north-south divide in transport as well as in weather and sea conditions.

I actually agree with you about the attractions of Penzance and the far west, but for most tourists, I still think that Falmouth is a better base.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM

And I agree that Falmouth is a lovely place too. I plan to go back to see where I can get to by ferry.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM

I plan to go back to see where I can get to by ferry.>>

Flushing,

St. Mawes [and from there you can get a tiny ferry to "Place" and walk round to St. Anthony's Head,]

up Carrick Roads [the name of the estuary] to Truro and Trelissick

Down the Helford.

i think that's it!
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Do I remember a garden that can be gotten to by ferry?
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Trebah & Glendurgan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -