Reload this Page >

Cork Query for Next Public Transport Trip to Ireland

Notices

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a lot of you know, we, a young couple aged 66 and 75, will be back to England and Ireland this summer as long as the coronovirus doesn't shut down all air transport. We never rent a car anymore. I'm chipping away at our overall itinerary, and I've now progressed to the point where we fly from Cardiff, Wales, UK to Cork, Ireland. We will land well before noon on a June Sunday; stay three nights in Cork; use our feet, buses, trains and a few taxis to get about; and then take a train to Killarney. What I want (and what my husband expects me to find), is a great location from which to explore Cork and its outlying areas plus be close enough to trad music pubs.

My question? With those goals in mind, would you choose the Metropole Hotel or the River Lee Hotel? Or would you choose somewhere else?

Yeah, I know--I'm not choosing cheap hotels by traveling via public transport. I want things to be walkable. I had made reservations at the River Lee a month or two ago. Two days ago, I Google-walked from the River Lee Hotel to the bus and train stations plus my overall list of best trad music pubs and thought, "Hmm, probably can find a better location." The Metropole Hotel seemed to be more suited for our goals.

So weigh in, please!

Thank you.
AZ
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metropole would be closer to bus and train. You can take the train to Midleton and there are taxis to Ballycotton or the bus several times a day. Ballymaloe cooking school is close to the Killkenny cafe and shop.
Franciscan Well brewery has a trad night and a storytelling night but the best beer garden with a wood fire pizzeria.
Ger Wall 087-2636901
Michael Walsh 087-2626901 Ballycotton taxi drivers.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:25 PM

On the early nights of the week I found several pubs with music. These were not performances for an audience so much as jam sessions for the musicians, playing what they wanted to play while the rest of the pub was welcome to listen. Nearing the weekend, the bigger places with a proper stage will feature 60-year-olds playing Beatles songs (still) for bus tours. Ask at your hotel reception or perhaps younger employees for tips on where to go.
The Jameson whiskey distillery in a Cork suburb is picturesque with interesting guided tours. Easily reached by pubic transport.

Last edited by Southam; Feb 25th, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Southam, actually, I'm not worried at all about finding pubs with music. I already have a good idea of where to find both Irish trad and American bluegrass on the nights/days we are there. We're pretty used to the "jam session" arrangement, because that's actually typical of an Irish pub. It's normal for musicians to "sit in" on a shifting basis throughout an afternoon and evening with no actual "set".

But with the intent on exploring a bit outside Cork during the day, I'm thinking that we probably should be situated a bit more closely to the bus/rail stations. Yeah, Macross, you're seeing it the same way I am. The Metropole would be the more "roll out of bed, get on the trail" type of place. Thanks for the driver details. It's too bad we won't be able to take advantage of the cooking school. And while I had listed the Franciscan Well Brewery as a possible pit stop to check out their IPA, I never considered they'd also have a trad session. Good find!

Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No classes needed but for five euros you can walk the whole property and visit the shell house. The maze is fun. You can see all the animals. There is a great shop with the most amazing baked goods and cheese. They have a food truck. Ger Wall will pick you up in Midleton if needed. He was a mini-tour guide.
The distillery was a good tour. I paid five extra for an old fashion and it was great. Midleton does have a taxi company also but we didn't think the walk to the train station to the distillery was bad.
Train to Cohb from Cork. We did a bus to Kinsale one time. Not last visit. We just went for the afternoon and wanted to eat there.

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas, Macross. Irish cheese is SO underrated.

We got to spend 1.5 days in Kinsale years ago and got to take a lovely walking tour then, so I think we'll skip it this time. But we plan to the Titanic Experience in Cobh to see how it compares to what we saw in Belfast. And our pub Trad Music schedule is actually pretty darn heavy!