corfu greece question

Search

corfu greece question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
corfu greece question

Hi, Corfu is one of the islands we would like to visit june 2008. We are in out mid 40s and love the beach, food, wine and quiet relaxation. We do not like clubs, motorized water activities and that type of beach environment. Will Corfu and its water be comfortably warm in mid june (we are use to the caribbean, which can sometimes be too hot)? Can you recommend an area for us to base ourselves in? We will stay for 5 days. Also, does anyone have knowledge of ferries. We will either be coming from Milos or Naxos and will fly if we have to but was wondering if the ferry might be an option. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM

it's a long ferry ride from those places and perhaps not even direct one

ferry to Pirraeus (Athens) take bus or train to Patras for several daily ferries to Corfu i think would be the land route i believe.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM

???
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Hmm, another tricky one.
When I was in Corfu last May we stayed in Corfu town at the Bella Venezia which I liked. From the town it's very easy to get out to the resorts. I don't know how warm the water was but I suspect not very. There are various resorts scattered around the island, Paleokristitsa is one we heard recommended, but we actually didn't think much of it when we went there. It seems that once you are out in a resort there isn't much else going on.
If you are coming by ferry there isn't much option but to come through Athens or Patras. Corfu is a long way from the rest of Greece and to me it felt very Italian.
It might be an idea to look at Paxos, I think there are places there that might fit your bill.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I have been in Corfu for the better part of a week in June each of the last three years. The water is warm and generally the weather has been excellent - around 80.

The ferry and train route requires more patience than I or my wife have so we have flown from Corfu to Athens. It is a 60 minute flight and costs a little over $100.

Where to stay is a matter of taste. We stay in the Pelekes Beach area, which is about 30 minutes from Corfu Town and is on the western side of the island. The beach is very nice and never has been over-run.

The area is quiet, beautiful and relaxing. We stayed at the Pelekes Beach Hotel this past summer and had an ocean-side room with half board for $75 per night. It is not a luxury resort by any means but I would certainly stay there again. We have always rented a car and spent mornings exploring and afternoons drinking Mythos beer on the beach

Pictures of the resort, Pelekes Beach and Corfu can be viewed here:

http://tinyurl.com/2g37gy

I love Corfu and would love to go back every year.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 05:15 AM

To find out which area of Corfu would fit what you're looking for, have a look at the Corfu Travel Guide here - http://www.agni.gr/guides/index.asp

As others have said, you're going to have to get back to Athens before going on to Corfu and with only 5 days to spare, flying's probably the best option. Aegean Airlines do a budget fare from €10 each way plus taxes from Athens to Corfu
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM

Hi, we've been to a number of the islands, and we have family in Naxos. Naxos is nice, but we're looking to try out something new for a couple of weeks with my family, which is composed of both teenagers and toddlers. How is Corfu? We're looking to hang out at the beach during the day, have some interesting sites and then go to the Hora during the evening hours