Copenhagen before Amsterdam?

Oct 4th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen before Amsterdam?

As I've noted elsewhere, my wife and I are planning on visiting Amsterdam next Spring. In researching the flights, I found that one of the better options involves traveling Chicago to Amsterdam by way of Copenhagen on SAS.

Traveling via Copenhagen opens the possibility of stopping for a few days in that city. So, what would you recommend: 14 days in the Netherlands or, perhaps, splitting the trip 4|10 between these two destinations?

Thanks folks ...
Oct 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Why not do 4/10? I do love Amsterdam and the surrounding area, but I think you'll enjoy seeing Copenhagen and the surrounding area too. If pressed to choose my favorite between the two, the Amsterdam area would win out, but certainly you have time for both.
Oct 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM

A few days in Copenhagen would be fine. Tivoli Garden, a must see and do, probably doesn't open until around April 10.

Your other post mentions being in Amsterdam the first two weeks of April. Have you considered moving that back a couple of weeks? Late April will give you a much better chance of seeing tulips in Keukenhof and in the fields.

Also, don't forget that April 30 is Queen's Day in Holland. Amsterdam has possibly the greatest street party on earth. Unbelievable. The tulip parade, Bloomencurso I think it is called, is normally the last Saturday of April. It comes north from the bulb area and ends in Haarlem. It has beautiful floats of flowers, sort of a mini Rose Parade.

Oct 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Hopscotch ...

Yes, and thank you.

We've decided to depart Chicago on Friday, April 25th, returning Sunday May 11th, and I'm currently considering a stop-over in Copenhagen with us departing for Amsterdam on Tuesday, April 29th.
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM

jmf314159,

Your schedule looks much better. You'll get into Copenhagen on Saturday morning or noonish and have three days.

Try to get into Amsterdam no later than mid-afternoon on the 29th. The partying will begin when the offices close.

Secure your Amsterdam rooms early -- like start shopping right now. Even if it wasn't for Q's Day there is a rush on hotels, B&Bs, and everything for this time period from Europeans coming to see the tulips.

If you drink bring your maximum from the airplane duty free shop to Copenhagen. OTOH, Holland has cheap spirits (local stuff) and beer.