Search

Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen

We will be in Copenhagen for three nights and would appreciate info on good restaurants.. are the ones in Tivoli Gardens still good (Last visit in 50's!!) Thank you.. we will also be one night in Stockholm ..
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM

When we are in Copenhagen we alwyas end up eating dinner either in Tivoli or on the Nyhavn. My favorite in Tivoli is the Peacock (can't remember how to say it in Danish).

I wonder if it's changed since the 50's? My first time there was in '94; it didn't change at all over the next several years, but I haven't been back since 2001. Next year. . .
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Enzian: Thank you very much for your reply I seem to remember that most of the people with whom we had contact spoke English (which is good because I can't get my tongue around the Scandinavian it all seems to want to come out German! - it seems odd that no one else seems to have eaten in Copenhagen restaurants? Thanks again for your time.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Skaye---I'll bring this up to the top; I'm sure lots of people here have dined in Copenhagen. And indeed, most people in Denmark do speak good English. . . . Like you, I speak German, it comes in handy for reading there, but not for speaking.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:02 AM
hsv

I have been recommending this for a while, so I thought I would not jump in as maybe you had read about it already. However, I have just been back for a visit in Copenhagen and I once more enjoyed a very tasteful dinner in a lovely courtyard setting at Restaurant Zeleste just around the corner from Nyhavn at Store Strandstraede. Great service, great atmosphere and great food at comparatively reasonable prices.

http://www.zeleste.dk/www/index_uk.asp

Should you care for a steak-house, I think Bryggeriet Apollo right by Tivoli is pretty good (although a bit pricey). The adjacent Hereford Beefstouw would be a good alternative and is slightly less expensive.

http://www.bryggeriet.dk/apollo
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you HSV and Enzian..I have not read any posts on restaurants in Copenhagen. It's a little like coming into a movie in the middle and having to start from the beginning! Appreciate any suggestions even if you feel every other poster has heard them before because I haven't! TX again
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM

I was in Copenhagen early this year. I just don't keep good track of restaurants because, I'm sorry to say, I don't really care that much. However, we had a really good dinner at a place called Herford or The Herford, in Nyhavn. I had a prefix dinner: half a lobster, a salad I think, a really good pepper steak and an apple tart and coffee for desert. About 40 or 45.00 american. I also hesitate to suggest restaurants. I ate at a restaurant in Stockholm in Gamla Stan, called Sally's. I thought it stunk and someone else ate there a few weeks later and had a great dinner..so there ya go. Hope you'll get other suggestions.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Creflors.. point taken..in fact sometimes people in the same party don't agree!!.. what I like to do is get some ideas.. sometimes what comes up is where NOT to go! Since we do not eat lunch (usually) we look forward to a good dinner. Thanks everybody..