Cooking Classes

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Cooking Classes

I will be going to Italy at the end of May through the middle of June. I would like to attend some cooking schools while I am there. The cities that I will be visiting are Rome, Venice, Parma, CinqueTerre, Florence, and Naples. Does anyone have some suggestions on either one or two day classes in any of these cities? I would appreciate your feedback!
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe and tagged for italy
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 02:23 AM

Last September I took a class with InRome cooking school. Loved it. We met in the Campo Fiori market for a short tour to purchase ingredients plus a brief stop at a tiny butcher shop for pork steaks. We walk thru Plaza Navona to the school. There were vegetarians who were assigned a different cook and only three of us in the regular class, a lovely couple and me. The chef's English was very good and I loved the cooking area. We did prep and dining in an adjacent room. We each had a different recipe to prep but we all made a pasta dough and made an interesting and easy shape by rolling small pieces of dough off a grooved board. There was wine throughout but I passed on the digestive since I had some elsewhere and didn't care for it. My best recollection on the menu: pork steaks and a braised green that the chef cook, pasta and a meat sauce, eggplant that was a take off on eggplant parmesan, tira misu, and rolls. The rolls were the only thing I did not care for. I love yeast rolls and this was a quick type and seemed dry. The other couple and I took pictures for each other and with the chef. I think I'm forgetting something from the menu.There certainly was plenty of food and cooking experience.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 10:21 AM

I love to take cooking classes when I travel! I also took one with InRome Cooking last September. A great time.

Others I have taken in Rome:

www.FabiolousCookingDay.com - I took the Mazzano Romano class, where they drive you to that town, a medieval town, gorgeous views. You shop for ingredients and then make a whole bunch of things. Highly recommended.

Cooking Classes in Rome ? We shop, we teach, we clean?You eat, you talk, you learn - with Andrea Consoli, also highly recommended. He is passionate about using local ingredients and wines, made lots of things.

In Naples. I took a pizza class from www.foodtourofnaples.com. Started with a walking tour that was much longer than expected, but still nice, because the guide was excellent and we learned a lot about Naples. It ended in a pizzeria where we made the pizza. Not much actual cooking, since the dough needed resting time so was made ahead of time. Mostly stretching the dough and adding toppings, then getting the hang of using the long-handled paddle . Fun, but maybe not what you're looking for if you want a lot of hands-on cooking.

Have fun!

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 10:57 AM

I was lucky enough to do some work for this school's owners, and to take the class. It was a bit ago, but it was lovely. The day class including being picked up in nearby Florence and short tour of the beautiful old villa in the picture. https://tuscany-cooking-class.com/
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 06:15 AM

I am taking a class from Jul's Kitchen https://en.julskitchen.com in Tuscany. You can hire a driver to take you to and from the class from Siena.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 04:22 PM

I did a class with Florencetown.com I love the market visit and all the stalls we visited. Great meal and we drank wine while cooking. We got the recipes after.