Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Convertible car around Tuscany with a Toddler?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... are we really mad? We really like the idea of driving around Tuscany in a convertible car, however haven't driven one before and not sure whether the wind will be too much for our 3 year old .... We plan on picking up the car in Siena and driving around San Gimignano, Montepulciano etc ... We plan on driving at a leisure pace (I'm not Fittipaldi I'm afraid)

Any recommendations for car hire companies that offer convertibles (without costing an arm and leg) would also be appreciated!

Many thanks
-Flor
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:32 AM

Personally I don't think it's wise. A convertible is OK when you can sit in front but it's always windy on the back seats, even at low speed.
For our recent trip to Italy we found AutoEurope to have the best conditions. They're just a broker, but cheaper than renting directly (our car was from Avis and we got a free upgrade twice).
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM

I was just going to comment that if you can find one I would be interested in knowing who has them for hire. Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:43 AM

Flor....you have to be kidding !! Get the sort of car you drive your kid around at home in !! If you are really intent on torturing yourself and your child, hire one at home for a weekend an try it !
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:50 AM

For me, its not just the wind but the danger of getting sunstroke.

The head, neck, arms legs would need to be well covered in sun block and clothing and with the wind blowing its often very difficult to know that they are burning.

Also it may be difficult to attach a children's seat, depending on the model.

Geordie

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:59 AM

When my husband had a convertible, my children hated having the top down.They did not like the wind in their face at all. Also, what ever they put on the seat ,blew out of the car.
Melissa
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:40 AM

Have you priced them?
That may decide for you.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:22 AM

can anyone give me an reasonable answer as to why anyone would take a child under 6 or 7 years old (especially a infant or toddler)all the way to Europe on vacation? They wont remember anything !! They will hinder the adults activities, sightseeing and fun. I am not trying to be mean or hateful. I just do not understand.
Isnt this one of the reasons God made grandparents?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:28 AM

myvenezia - maybe when you have your own children you'll be able to answer it

Geordie
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:49 AM

I have a daughter and 2 grandkids.
I would have never taken my daughter when she was 2 years old on vacation to Europe. We have talked about this. She totally agrees. My grandkids are 4 years old. When they are 8-10 we will take them to Europe for the first time.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:04 AM

Sometimes, I am amazed that people can be so critical without knowing anything. We traveled to England with our then year old daughter several years, and although difficult at times, it was wonderful. (Incidentally, there were no grandparents to leave our daughter with ) ALthough she doesn't remember the trip, she loves looking at pictures- she actually learned to walk there, and loves telling friends how we put an "L" on her back as she toddled about. (they put "L" on student driver cars- or at least, they did)

That being said, I don't think a convertible is the best idea. As people have said, there's wind and sun exposure, particularly in the back seat, things blow around too much, and I'd worry the child could get loose and fall out. My first car was a convertible, and, in the end, I decided the idea was better than the fact and never bought another one. Try one at home. If you want more air, try to get a car with a sun roof, but even these create a lot of sun exposure.

Have a grand time with you little one.

-Margret
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM

Some young children do well on vacation. Mine would not have been cooperative as others' and now that he's 16 he's fine. We first took him to Europe at age 9. But when he was a toddler, no, we never thought of going to Europe or anywhere that far on vacation. But that was our situation only. My cousin and husband, however, brought their 1 1/2 year old with them for two weeks to Paris and they all enjoyed it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM

Myvenezia, I love to travel and I want to raise children who love to travel. We took one to London when she was a little over a year, then to Costa Rica, then both to Italy when they were 1.5 and four, then back to Costa Rica the next year. They had fun, we had fun, and BTW, their grandparents are not willing or able to take them for longer than a weekend and I am not willing or able to be without them that long either. You would be amazed at how their brains expanded during the trip, you could see them get smarter by the minute. Don't knock it until you try it!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Oh, and I also would not advice a convertible with a kid in the back. It will be loud so you won't be able to hear your child, the wind will be annoying and there is the issue of sun exposure and everything blowing out of the car. And the lack of air conditioning should it be hot(even with the top up air conditioning won't get a convertible back seat that cool). In addition, the back seats of convertibles are typically small because that's where the folded top goes.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:26 AM

"can anyone give me an reasonable answer as to why anyone would take a child under 6 or 7 years old (especially a infant or toddler)all the way to Europe on vacation? They wont remember anything !! They will hinder the adults activities, sightseeing and fun. I am not trying to be mean or hateful. I just do not understand.
Isnt this one of the reasons God made grandparents?"

Did ANYONE on this thread ask for your thoughts on this??? So my question WHY do you think this was the appropriate response to the question?

Anyway, AutoEurope rents a Saab Convertible. I have one.. the wind in the backseat is NOT near as unbearable as all of the posters would have you believe. I rountinely haul kids aged around 7 or 8 who LOVE it (for HOURS...) I drove a regular car in the same area of Italy and think a convertible would be great there. On the autopistas it might be little much, but....

I can't speak to a three year olds happiness.

However, the other major issue is LUGGAGE space. With the top down there is VERY little space in the trunk and when you add up the stuff a three year old needs I am afraid it's going to be TIGHT fit. (2 22" suitcases take up most of the space!)
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Renting a convertible is usually a great idea. We do it one weekend a year with our children here in Switzerland. They love it. But I agree with the others: the sun could make it unbearable for your toddler. The wind can get tiresome and bothersome. And then you have the bugs. However, you can always put the top down so you are definitely flexible on that issue.

Good luck!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses: I realize now that it might not be such a good idea to get a convertible with the little one. It would be great for us but wouldn't want to see the poor little thing burnt with the sun for example ... We'll prob hire one here at home for a wkd to make a final decision.

As for taking small children or not on long-haul holidays, I truly believe they greatly benefit; our 3 year old daughter might not remember all details of the holiday but she certainly has lots of fun experiencing new stuff and new environments and I definitely belive it's making her a more open minded person for the future ...

Just my 2 cents anyway!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM

It's a shame myvenezia missed out on taking her kids to Europe when they were little. And a shame she felt compelled to belittle another poster for doing so. That kind of stuff rubs off on kids, you know.

As for the convertible, in addition to all the other reasons mentioned, I'd be more worried about theft with a convertible.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
J62

My kids might not remember much about the first time they went to Europe with me, but I sure do. They actually enhanced my sightseeing, activities and fun. We went and saw places we never would have without them, slowed down our pace so we actually enjoyed where we were rather than buzzing through. And having the kids never slowed down our 'adult' activities - they were gladly welcomed everywhere went, fron dinner, to beer hall, to theater.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM

Hello Flor, my beautiful daughter loves to travel, although she doesn't get to as much as she would like to. One of her favorite places is airports, lol.

Probably because she always went on trips with us..much to our joy!!

When she was in summer camp and we took a trip without her we missed her so much. I have always felt, and still do, that seeing the world through the eyes of a child really opens your heart up to what the world is like. Best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -