Converter/Adapter bargain

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converter/Adapter bargain

Fry's Electronics is offering a "Travel Smart Foreign Adapter Set" consisting of an 1875 watt converter and a set of (what appears to be) 4 plug adapters and a travel case for $11.99 through August 16.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Just bought this exact same set this weekend. Gotta love Fry's!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:21 AM

You know how some US plugs have one larger prong and one smaller one? Well, a couple years ago I bought a whole set of adapters. When I went to use them I discovered that the US ends were for two smaller prongs only. None of them would work with either of the appliances I wanted to travel with.
Just a word of caution. I would actually make sure that they all not only had the larger/smaller prong combination, but a third hole for ground also.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:45 AM

A word of caution: During our trip to Europe this summer, we noticed that many hotels have secured the area around their electrical plugs so that the only adapter that fits is the one that is shaped like a very small plug.

The larger adapter that we brought with us, which is popular here in the U.S. and is shaped something like a plastic brick, is too boxy for the prongs to fit into most European outlets.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Good point about the "adaptability" of some US adapters in European outlets.

Last year, our hotels in Paris and Burgundy had the hollowed-in outlet where only small size plugs/adapters can fit in. Good thing was that our adapter was made of hard rubber that I sliced away with my Swiss Army knife to fit into the outlets - not a good thing to do, but we had charge the cell phones and PDAs and we didn't cause any short circuit or fire.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM

I really have never heard of an adaptor shaped like a plastic brick...perhaps a converter but not an adaptor.

Most adaptors sold these days are made for US polarized plugs and they will usually fit into evn those "recessed" recepticals found throughout Europe.

I still take adaptors with me but I've definitely gone over to either battery-powered appliances (electric tooth brush and beard trimmer) to dual voltage models (hair/clothes dryer).

Converters are, IMO, more trouble and possible dangerous than they are worth but to each their own.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Speaking of electric toothbrushes, I discovered the Oral B, battery ones. They last for a couple months on a single battery and I actually like them better than my plug in Oral B one. In fact I bought a 5 pack of them at Costco and I use the battery ones all the time -- even at home now.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:42 AM
MaureenB

I found those round outlet covers, too, in Paris, London and Amsterdam this June. Luckily I had an extra adaptor, and I could plug in one adaptor, then be able to access the outlet for the converter itself. Don't know if that makes sense-- I need to draw a diagram!

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Intrepid-

You're right. I was talking about a converter that is shaped like a plastic brick. The size and shape of the converter made it impossible to use in most of the hotels we stayed at this summer. Thanks for the correction!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Rah! Rah! Go Fry's!!!
Rob, my boy, you have a penchant for posting Fry's specials on Fodor's.

Has anybody else investigated how poorly the Fry's customers AND employees are treated? God help you if you must return an item to that store.

http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys14.html

http://www.daniel.fishman.org/frys.html

http://www.yougottareadthis.com/comp...omplaints.html

http://www.doofus.org/Frys/

http://www.ihatemycubicle.com/2004/1...es_in_r_2.html

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

You get what you pay for, mon vieux.

Fry's usually has a lot of stuff on their shelves that's been returned, marked down anywhere from 10-25%. I'll buy any of it I need without hesitation, because it's been my experience that the only thing wrong with it is that it was originally bought by someone who either a) couldn't follow instructions, or b) didn't have enough intelligence to make it work.

Fry's do not pamper their customers - that's why they have the best prices in the galaxy. It costs money to handle jerks, so they opt not to do it.

By the way, I've also touted headphones from Amazon, and most of the camera memories I've recommended are from eCost. What's your point?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Let's see if we all understand you here, Robbie :
(1) You buy returned items from Fry's because you possess superior intelligence over those people who return items.
Get over yourself.

(2) You've never, say, purchased a returned item with the white square sticker with blue text and found the box was missing a component; documentation; or other entirely necessary item?
Many people have, myself included.

It's not that Fry's feels that it "costs money to handle jerks" as you wrote. Oh, brother! That's the cheese calling Velveeta "orange". It's that the turnover is so rapid there - due largely to employee dissatisfaction - that these clerks do not value the customers AND/OR they aren't employed there long enough to receive proper training.

The issues are: the low pay attracts non-skilled labor pool; the company provides minimal training; the employees stay for a short term of employment; and, the number of employees with English as a primary language are few.

I dunno, Robbie, maybe you've found your own kind at Fry's. This explains why you're so comfortable with that place and defensive in relation to your own personal shortcomings.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:13 AM

"The issues are: the low pay attracts non-skilled labor pool; the company provides minimal training; the employees stay for a short term of employment; and, the number of employees with English as a primary language are few."

Wow. Add "they require an IQ under 80, and no one with common sense is allowed to work there" to that list and you have the perfect description of Radio Shack.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

"(1) You buy returned items from Fry's because you possess superior intelligence over those people who return items."

Bravo. You got it on the first try.

"(2) You've never, say, purchased a returned item with the white square sticker with blue text and found the box was missing a component; documentation; or other entirely necessary item? Many people have, myself included."

No, I haven't. Why don't you check the contents before you buy, like I do?

Intelligence, remember?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM

What a remarkable specimen you are.

You know exactly what is meant to be inside every box from every manufacturer on the shelves of Fry's electronics.

You deserve an award for Fry's employee of the month. See you at Radio Shack in September.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Gee, you really have a problem, don't you?

Most of the time, the contents will be listed on the outside of the box. Sometimes there's a list in the manual. Rarely, it is necessary to read the manual to figure it out.

See you at Mensa.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Not if I see you first, Robbie.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Why wouldn't I see you if you saw me first? You're (still) talking nonsense.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Go to your rooms, boys. Or should I say "corners"?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

He started it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -