Reload this Page >

Convents in Venice...anyone stayed at

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Patricia

the Istituto San Giuseppe convent in Venice? <BR> <BR> I have read about this convent offered as accomodation, and am wondering what it is like --(rooms, baths, and location)?? <BR> <BR> I would also like to have a nice view of a canal--if possible--But I would prefer not to write the convent to inquire about this, as I feel that they are not there to "cater" to me, only to generously offer their hospitality and I would not like to offend the sisters. <BR> <BR>Anyone who has stayed here, and knows any info on it, please respond. <BR> <BR>Many Thanks for your trouble! <BR>Patricia

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Paulo

I've never slept in a religious institution, mainly because most (if not all) have a curfew and since I turned 16 (and that was a century ago) I started feeling in a cage if constrained to go to bed at 10:30 or 11pm ... <BR> <BR>Anyway, it appears to be located on the Ponte della Guerra, which should be right at the dividing line between the sestieri of San Marco and Castello. Once its address is referred to Castello 5402, I assume it's right at the beginning of Calle Casselaria, the street that leads into Campo Santa Maria Formosa from the southwest. If you don't have a map, this is roughly beween San Marco and Rialto, closer to San Marco. In other words, very central to the thick of things, though slighly off the tourist main path and thus quite and convenient. Being located on a bridge, chances are they've got some windows with a Canal view (Rio di San Zulian). They're listed as having 30-35 bed births, in single, group and family rooms, lodging tourists (that is, short term accomodation). No breakfast is served. <BR> <BR>Now, Patricia, available info is very scarce and much of the above is pure guess work (for instance, my map doesn't show the name of this bridge; it shows Campo della Guerra in the San Marco sestiere; the number doesn't mean a thing, not even Venetians besides the postmen understand their street numbering system) ... hope you don't through the dogs at me if you decide staying there and it turns out completely different! <BR> <BR>You may wish to contact <BR> <BR>Italyguide_Venezia_Religioso &lt;[email protected]&gt; <BR> <BR>You may inquire them for info. This is a private business offering services at a profit, located in Rome, and that has nothing to do with the nuns in Venice. They won't know you exist unless you decide staying there You may also book with them (undoubtely for a fee!). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Patricia

<BR> Paulo, <BR> <BR> I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond back. I have been working lots, but I didn't forget about you! <BR> <BR>Thanks for responding to my inquiry! I would not "throw the dogs at you" because I appreciate your info and help-- and I am pretty easy to please, and don't wish to sound like a picky tourist. It would turn out even better if they offer a beautiful view of a canal, but I will not expect it, so that if there is one --even better! <BR> <BR>You say it is located in the center of things, but still in a quieter area. Would these smaller streets be fairly easy to navigate to a newcomer? <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help! <BR>Patricia

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 09:46 AM
michele

Patricia, <BR>My husband and I stayed at the Istituto <BR>San Giuseppe several years ago. Our room was clean, with a private bathroom and shower (one of those nozzles in the wall with a drain set-ups).There was a large, more upscale bathroom down the hall with a bathtub, too. We were right on a canal, which in the summer is a mixed blessing. The convent's location is excellent, an easy walk to San Marco <BR>and the building itself has a great deal of atmosphere. We walked up a dark winding staircase to our room, there was a large courtyard and a large communal room where several of the younger nuns watched television in the evening. <BR> <BR>There is a curfew..can't remember the time. <BR> <BR>All in all, it's a reasonably priced, safe, clean place stay, with atmosphere. <BR> <BR>If you are interested, I would contact the Sisters now as convents as very popular places, especially in expensive cities like Venice. Also, it helps if you or someone you know speaks Italian when making the reservation. Needless to say, cash only. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 06:43 PM
rlk

- <BR>Patricia: <BR> <BR>After seeing your post (and the prices of most Venice Hotels) I was intrigued and did a quick web search on this convent. Came up with an article printed a couple years ago in the Boston Globe. It's too long to copy the entire article, but here's the link. <BR> <BR>http://www.globe.com/globe/search/st...rome_italy.htm <BR> - - - - - - - - - - <BR>Staying with the nuns <BR>In Italy, the sisters and monks offer inexpensive lodging <BR>Author: By Lois Brunner Bastian, Globe Correspondent <BR>Date: SUNDAY, February 15, 1998 <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 04:18 AM
Paulo

All of Venice is safe and easy to navigate for everybody ... I take it Michele's and Rlk's contributions cover all your questions and as Patricia points out, the sooner you go about reserving, better are your chances. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 02:20 PM
Patricia

<BR> Thanks to everyone who responded to my post!! I just have one more question, Michele, you said you were right on a canal --by chance, did you have a view of that canal from your room? <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Patricia

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:22 PM
ms. janet

Yeah, know it's been a year since Patricia posted her query. Interested what her experience was like (if you're still lurking around this site). Or has anyone else recently stayed at this convent?

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 10:14 PM
pat

to the top.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Karl

topping, too.