Notices

Convents

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Mike

Convents

I have read about staying in convents/religious institutions in Italy and they sound almost too good to be true. Can someone who has tried it please comment? And, pass some information as to how to contact them, particularly in Florence and Rome? We are going to be in Italy from the middle of October to the end of October...are we too late? Thank you,
Mike

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Judy

A book "Bed and Blessing in italy"-A guide to convents and momasteries available for overnight lodging, by June Walsh and Anne Walsh has all the lists and details.
My only experience was staying at Alma Domus in Siena for 4 nights, it is run by nuns, basic and clean with curfew, and very safe.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Christina

there was a good article in the Wash Post on this subject on 1/1/2001, you could get it from their archives. It concentrated on Rome convents; the author stayed in several and gave reviews and contact info. Depends what you want as to whether they are too good to be true; rates aren't as cheap as you'd expect, they are basic and have more rules than hotels. Some are a little more "luxurious" I guess (no rack) and those are priced about the same as budget hotels, it seemed to me.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Christina

That date was supposed to be Jan 11, 2001 of wash post

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Eunice

I tried to book a convent in Rome for early Sept. but unfortunately, all the ones I contacted were booked. You might have better luck in Oct.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:15 PM
xxx

Mike

We're going to Italy in October. I booked our convent in Florence in March. Don't give up. I had to fax them three times before they responded.

Buon viaggio

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:20 AM
jo

Try this website

www.santasusanna.org