Connecting Time in FCO

Search

Connecting Time in FCO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting Time in FCO

We are making a connection in Rome from United to Alitalia and 1 1/2 hours is allowable according to the airlines.
Is it reasonable?
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
J62

Did you already purchase your tickets? If yes, is it one ticket from origin to destination, or did you buy separate tickets on UA and Alitalia?

UA (Star) and Alitalia (Skyteam) aren't in the same alliance, so you can't checkin all the way to your destination, but you can check your bags all the way. Just be sure to show your Alitalia info to UA. IIRC there is an Alitalia transfer desk in the arrival hall before you get to immigration (maybe it's after immigration, not sure). You'll need to go there asap to get your boarding pass, seat assignments, and show them your baggage claim tickets so they can retrieve your bags from UA.

The reason I ask if you bought your tickets yet, and if it's on one ticket or two is the $$ risk if you miss your connecting flights. If it's all on one ticket then you are protected if your incoming flight is delayed - Alitalia will be responsible for putting you on the next available flight. If you bought or buy separate tickets, then you may be SOL if your 1st flight is late and you miss checkin time for your connecting flight.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Not yet purchased the AZ ticket but the UA ticket is a mileage ticket. I was aware I could check my baggage through.
How far is the trek from customs and immigration to where we would board our second flight?
We would like to get to Venice ASAP as we are arriving the day of the Historical Regatta.
We could have flown the whole way on miles but would have arrived so late into Venice it wasn't worth it (and the travel time was about 6 hours longer!)
Thanks so much for the information.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM

I think that one and a half hours would be OK.
Here’s a warning – the liquids and gels stuff applies for the Alitalia flight, so if you have duty free booze, you’ll be in trouble unless it is checked on. (We got caught with this, transferring from Emirates to Alitalia. Had to bin a bottle of duty free grog. Sad, so sad.)

First time we went to Venice, we flew Melb / Dubai / Rome, transferred to Alitalia for Rome/Venice.
But next time, we would fly to Rome, and then take the train to Venice. It would take about 4.5 hours from FCO to Venice. Cheaper too – about 80 Euro for the trip. You might consider this as an option, and the Italian rail system is good. Might not suit your timetable, though.
From Venice – Marco Polo Airport to “downtown” is about an hour or an hour and a half by ferry, or about an hour by bus to Piazzle Roma and ferry down the Grand Canal. Ferries might be limited because of the Regatta.
Venice is just the most excellent city – we love it.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM

If you want to explore the rail option, this website works for timetables. http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

The system won't accept US credit cards - there are lots of threads on here about that problem.

An option - take the train to Venice, check your bags in to the left luggage at San Lucia station, which is right on the Grand Canal. Walk down town. See the Regatta, and then return for your bags later.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

We need to arrive earlier than we can by train, unfortunately. And I do love arriving in Venice from the airport by boat.
It's so wonderfully dramatic.
I have hopes that there may be some of the gondola will be decked out as we motor in, making for a pretty spectacular welcome!