Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Confusiong with Dordogne planning...normal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed alright with Normandy but I am finding it difficult to plan Dordogne. Perhaps because there are so many areas to see..... And so many new names I never heard of before. And so many reccomendations from Fodorites..

I am wondering if we can wait till we get there and just read up everyday on different areas before we visit them. We will stay in Beynac or La Roque Gageac. We should have a week or so. Would be be able to plan day by day from those bases. Or should I plan now?..

I think also the names of the area are so new to me....whereas I had heard of Rouen..etc.

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM

I'm assuming that you have my Dordogne Itinerary that i've mentioned on these boards before - it not, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll e-mail you one. Also click on my name & you will see lots of posts by me. When doing so, you will encounter St Cirq's name. Click on it & you will encounter even more.

Get the Michelin Green Guide for the Dordogne & Lot and the Cadogan Guide for the Dordogne & Lot. That's all you need - no Frommers, no Fodors (should I say that), and no Rick Steves. In the Michelin, go see all the 2 & 3 star sites (Lascaux, Pech Merle, etc), and all the starred towns (Beynac, Gourdon, etc). Follow any driving itineraries that they have.

The Dordogne does not have any "big name" cities, except for Sarlat. It's mostly smaller villages hugging cliffs or overlooking the Dordogne, Vezere, or Lot rivers, fantastic pre-historic caves, caves with stalactites & mites, beautiful countryside, lots of castles, fantastic food, and the Dordogne river itself - take a canoe trip down it.

If you will be there for a week, visit St Cirq Lapopie & Pech Merle & drive east along the Lot River or the Cele River to Figeac for a long day trip.

Get the Michelin Map # 329. With a magic marker, mark all the "Starred" attractions and also the routes described in the Michlein guide. Then see what sites/attractions are grouped together. I always make several 1 day itineraries before I go. I also note opening & closing times and when English tours will be given for caves & castles. Plan many half-day trips so you can just "hang out" if you feel like it.

Visit several morning markets.

Stu Dudley

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Maybe these will whet your appetite, and then use a Post-it on whichever map you have chosen:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=j4n04qu...&y=-wl70uc
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow!! Stu you made it all clear. Yes I have your itinerary. I was going to bring it with me...haven't really devoured it as I am so overwhelmed with names.

But you just made it sound easier. I have been looking at the drives...but didn't quite know if that was the way to do it.

thanks...and you can be sure I will write you again.

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM

loisco:

Start with a trip to the Tourist Office in Sarlat. They have good information on driving routes in the area - plus a great English-language one-hour tour (usually on Wednesdays only, maybe more often in high season).

I'd be happy to suggest one-day driving routes, too, if you feel you need further input.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:00 PM
cmt

Your question sounded really strange to me. But then I gave it a second thought and remembered that I always find planning a trip to France difficult and overwhelming, and in fact, each time I've tried in the past few years, I've ended up giving up and switching to another country. I wonder whether it has something to do with the chunky shape of the country. I cannot, without a map, easily visualize the various parts of France and the location of many of its cities as I can with Italy, for example. The shape and interior location of the Dordogne may make it more challenging for you to visualize it and make plans, and maybe Normandy was easier for you because it's coastal. (Then again, maybe this "theory" makes no sense at all.) For whatever it's worth, in my very limited travel experience in France, the Dordogne was my favorite area.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM

If you are going to get back with me or St Cirq, just be aware that we both spend a lot of time in France & other places in Europe. I spend the entire month of June and September there - and I think she does also. I don't take my PC with me, so I won't be able to answer questions then. I don't know if St Cirq responds to posts while she is at her second home in the Dordogne, or other spots in France.

I mention this because someone kinda got nasty with me last year when I did not respond to requests for my various itineraries, while I was on vacation (it was not anyone on the Fodor board).

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:19 PM

The Michelin Green Guide gives different itineraries which might be helpful in planning. They also weigh the different sights/sites by color scheme and stars.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Unfortunately for me, I always have my laptop with me, whether I'm at home in the USA or at home in France. However, now that I am giving tours in France twice a year, even though I have the laptop, I'm not on it much for two weeks in fall and two weeks in spring. Good point, Stu. I also had an irate "customer" once (can it be a customer if they're asking for free advice?) who was miffed that it took me 2 weeks to get back to him. Hey! I was researching!
loisco: I don't think you need to fret about the Dordogne part of your trip. Stu and I and others will be more than able to help you through this bit of the voyage. And of course I think it will end up being your favorite part.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

I am so grateful to you all. Maybe one day I can help others.

I only wish I could meet you there...yes I think the Dordogne will be my favorite..and I will post more questions. That's how I learn.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:19 PM

loisco: I've probably asked ten times, but I can't keep all posters and travel clients straight - when will you be there? Maybe we CAN arrange a meeting.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM

loisco,

I stayed near La Roque-Gageac, more specifically Castelnaud, last September. The whole area is truly beautiful and easy to get around. You'll see that a lot of information is available either at the inn/hotel/gîte where you'll be staying or at any tourist information booth in the region.

Once there, you can plan day by day. Nothing is very far and virtually all the sites are interesting. Beautiful countryside, wonderful food and great wines. Enjoy!

Ginny
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:33 AM
ira

Hi lois,

If you are planning to visit Lascaux and other cave sites, I suggest that you contact them for reservations.

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

St. Cirq...not sure of exact date we will be in Dordogne area but around the 10th of September.

From there we go to Provence ....no set dates on any of this but we have to be back in Paris on Oct. 10. We will drop our lease car off in Avignon or Toulouse or wherevever...

I would love to meet some of you if our paths could cross.