Reload this Page >

Confused about Swiss train passes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Fred

I am planning a month long trip to Europe for my honeymoon this summer . I am buying the first class Saver Europass. From what I've read it covers most of my journey except for some Swiss trains. My itinerary for that part of the trip including planned side trips is as follows:<BR><BR>Paris<BR>Montreoux/Golden Pass Scenic Train<BR>Murren/Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch<BR>Lucerne<BR>Lake Como<BR><BR>From what I understand only parts of the journey are covered by the Europass. Unfortunately I haven't seen any information specifying which trains and lifts are covered. Should I use my Europass in Switzerland? or should I get less days on the Europass and buy a Swiss pass for that part of the trip? Any help would be appreciated.<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Liz

Here are a number of sites to research:<BR><BR>www.railsaver.com<BR>www.raileuro pe.com<BR>www.ricksteves.com<BR>www.euraide.de

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:16 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Fred<BR>gp omtp www. regiopass-berneroberland.ch/d_karte<BR>2.htm. This shows free and reduced<BR>fares thru the BO Regional Pass. Beleive this is the same with Swiss Pass. Check into the sites that Liz has<BR>mentioned, somewhere within they should<BR>have the same information.<BR>Other rail sites might be www.sbb.ch/....www.bls/ch/....www.jungfrau.ch/....www.rhb.ch/....www.schlithorn.ch/....www.murren.ch/....www.brunenig.ch/....ww.rail-info.ch/....<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Ingo

Could you tell us how long you want to travel Switzerland and how many days you intended to get your Europass?<BR><BR>As far as I know, and I am quite sure about it, the Europass has the same validity as the Swiss Pass. This means, it gives you free travel to Murren and Wengen. For the trip to the Schilthorn you have to pay 60,20 Sfr. (38 $) and to the Jungfraujoch estimated 100 Sfr. (63 $). The Golden Pass Scenic Train cost a surcharge of 15 Sfr. (10 $), standard trains on the same route are without surcharge.<BR><BR>But without knowing your exact itinerary concerning Switzerland I cannot recommend a different Rail Pass, sorry.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Fred

Thanks for the web addresses guys. I'm pretty sure they will answer any other questions I may have about swiss trains. I'm a rookie compared to you guys but I've been learning the last couple of months by reading other people's posts. Ingo, thanks for your help. My itinerary for the Swiss leg of my month long trip is as follows:<BR><BR>Days 1-4 in Paris<BR>Day 5 in Montreoux (1st Europass day from Paris)<BR>Day 6 Golden Pass Train to Murren (2nd Europass day from Montreoux)<BR>Day 7 to Schilthorn (Murren home base)<BR>Day 8 to Jungfraujoch (Murren home base)<BR>Day 9 in Lucerne (3rd Europass day from Murren)<BR>Days 10-11 in Lake Como (4th Europass day from Lucerne)<BR><BR>I'm assuming I can only use a Swiss pass from Montreux to Lucerne. If I get a Swiss pass I'll need an eight day Europass for the other countries I'm visiting. If I don't get a Swiss pass I'll need a 10 day Europass. I'm hoping there is a Swiss pass which includes the scenic private trains and lifts. If there isn't one I guess a Swiss pass is not worth the trouble.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 02:47 AM
Fred

Problem soved thanks to Liz, Richard and Ingo!!! I looked through some of the web addresses you guys gave me. One in particular (www.railsaver.com) allowed me to type in my whole itinerary (Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Spain and Italy). It automatically calculated when I should use a pass and when it would be cheaper buying point to point tickets. It suggested which pass to get and what is covered on each leg. It suggested a 10 day Europass combined with a couple of point to point tickets. <BR>Thank you Ingo for posting the prices of the Swiss trains which aren't covered with the pass. It helped me figure out my total expenses for train travel. Thanks again to all of you for your help. You've helped me overcome a major hurdle.