Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Confession - I find the idea of limited carry on luggage to be really freeing!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that they are loosening up the restrictions of carry-on baggage going to and from a lot of countries now. The more I think of it though, the more I am loving the idea of carrying just a tote sized handbag. No having to worry about a heavy carry-on when I go to the bathroom, or worrying about hitting someone as I pass in the aisle of the plane while boarding and I won't have to cram it under the seat in front of me.

I know this won't work for everyone, but I'm loving the thought the more I think about it! I can fit a book, magazine, my wallet, camera and jewelry pouch in there plus a snack as well as some other stuff.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM

Nope - you're not alone. I think I've flown carry on only on maybe 3 flights. I just like to have a lot of stuff with me. Saturday, I'm making a day trip to DC and plan on just bringing a purse. It's going to be very liberating. In October, when I go to England, I'm carrying on one bag and that's only because I have to bring my laptop for work. I'm looking forward to that, too. If it means I pay for extra checked bags - so be it.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Funny you should start this thread! Just this afternoon, I realized that if we check our bags, we're going to be in trouble (long story, not interesting). At first, I panicked. Then I went in and started removing all the stuff we can live without for 3 weeks, and I realized, sheesh, we don't need nuthin' (we're going to Italy, not outerspace.) Anyway, now I'm feeling so RELIEVED!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM

Same here (he grudgingly admitted.) The thought of having to check seemed an unbearable imposition. Having lived with it for several weeks I have adapted and am actually enjoying it. Clearing security and boarding are faster and easier, and the extra 15-30 minutes to pick up a checked bag is just part of the formula. It's also easier to not have a bag hanging off the end of my arm through the terminal.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM

Interesting thread rapunzll. I just had a friend leave for Europe today. She checked in two small suitcases (one about 21" and one 20&quot and took on the plane a very small tote and her purse. No worry about makeup etc (we now have an excuse not to look our best when arriving at our destination, right?). The way she is flying made me smile. Freedom!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM

When we're going on a long enough trip (like a ski week) that I have too much stuff to fit in just a carry-on, I love having nothing but my purse.

But, when it's a short enough trip that everything easily fits in my rolling carry-on, I hate having to check luggage, risking it getting lost, and waiting at the carousel.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it's a good thing, I have had someone on many an occassion, trying to sqweeze an oversized bag next to my backpack and breaking a gift or jar of confiture.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:40 PM

It really is a "less is more" sort of thing, isn't it?
I hope they don't loosen the restrictions too much, think how fast we can get on and off an airplane if everyone could simply grab their totes and go.
Good thread!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM

You'll change your mind after your checked bag(s) fail to appear after waiting for it for half an hour.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM

I have travelled extensively in Europe (and from US and Canada) for about thirty years and have never had a bag go missing yet. I once had a bag delayed by an hour and a half (1984, everyone's bag on a charter from Italy was sent to Denmark!) I carry on essentials and a spare set of clothes on long trips. If the worst comes to the worst, I can manage for a day or two. Obviously, the more carry on luggage, the more there is to check and the greater the chance of something slipping through security.

Carolena
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:24 AM
ira

>You'll change your mind after your checked bag(s) fail to appear after waiting for it for half an hour.<

Patience, friend, patience.

I don't start to fret until after 0:45 hr.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM

When I was single, I used to check everything - I'd go on the plane (waiting till the end to board since I didn't need to fight for overhead space) with only my purse and a book. Now I travel with a husband and three kids. We've always packed one smaller carry-on with cosmetics, medicines, etc., and other with a change of clothes and jammies for each of us. On the way home, the carry on that had the change of clothes is usually filled with any breakable souvineers. There are some destinaitons and some arrival times where you can't immediately go out and buy "necessities" if your luggage doesn't arrive. I'm still quite uncomfortable with the new rules.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Missypie, if I was traveling with kids, I would probably feel differently. But all three of mine are on their own now.

That reminds me.... on trips with the family, I stopped carrying a larger purse just because I got tired of the inevitable, 'mom, could you put this in your purse?' or 'honey, could you hold onto these'? That wasn't on the plane though, that was after we reached our destination.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
hdm

Well, it depends. If we're going on a long trip I love to travel empty-handed except for a purse, a book and a crossword puzzle. I've often said that the vacation starts for me the moment my luggage is checked and out of my hands.

But there was a time when I was traveling for a short time every two weeks and then I had my system perfected. I'd always take carry-on and sit in the aisle seat, first row. I was off the plane, bag in hand, and into the airport shuttle in about 10 minutes. I would have hated to have to check my bag then.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Not freeing at all. After I had my cherished souvenirs from the flea market stolen from my checked bag flying from Paris, I started packing my purchases in carry-on. And after I went without luggage upon arrival for a couple days, I started packing a couple days' worth of clothes in carry-on. And when I was one of many people bumped from a flight home from Paris with no luggage, I was grateful for my carry-on with its necessities for that extra, unanticipated night in Paris.

What was freeing for me was the invention of wheeled carry-ons, and to have to do without that will be the opposite of freeing.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, I feel the same. Actually I've been checking my suitcase since I started flying British Air to Europe a decade ago (with their strict weight restrictions, my 22" couldn't make the cut). So this latest was only one step further to my method.

I enjoy NOT having to roll the suitcase around the airport(s) especially as I often travel solo the bathroom or shops were always problematic.

I bought a new tote that I'm using as carry-on. A nice big roomy tapestry kind of bag. It's perfect.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM

I just wish the airlines would enforce the one bag (+ purse/personal bag/or laptop bag) policy. I never understood why they have this policy because every plane I've been on, someone is loaded down with bags and packages; take up the entire overhead compartment; leaving us who follow the rules stuck with no place to place our one bag!

I for one think we should all e-mail the airlines and recommend that they come up with a policy for extra care/new system for fragile packages. This way people will feel more confident checking these items. Example designated pickup area for these bags/packages and not put them on the belt line baggage claim.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM

<souvenirs from the flea market stolen from checked luggage>

When I have anything of value in my check luggage, I ask to watch my bag go through security then hand them my lock (not the airport master key type) and watch them lock my bag. O'Hare is excellent about doing this. CDG does it but gives me that French "you know your a pain in the !@# look".

My other theory, if the item is of extreme value that I can afford it then I can afford to spend the extra $ to have it shipped and insured!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

That's a great idea Parisnow. I probably never would have thought of that.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM

I am a renowned packer (in my circles) and have always been a carry-on only girl. However, I am not going anywhere without my cosmetics/moisturizers/hair products, so I checked bags on my previous two trips and I absolutely LOVED IT! I brought 5 pairs of shoes for one weekend in Paris (and yes, I wore them all!) and I didn’t have to choose a single color scheme for my trip. The clothes that I wore on the plane home were 100% CLEAN (what a luxury) and I wasn’t stressed about the overhead bin abusers. Was it annoying to wait 45 minutes for my bag at Charles de Gaulle? YES, but what fun it was browsing in the airport shops without dragging around 20 pounds, and using the airport restrooms was an absolute breeze! I am a convert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -