Conference in Dublin - Half-Day Tours from Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Dublin for a conference April 5-9 (2003) and have some free time during which I would like to explore outside the city, as I prefer nature and villages to urban settings. I will arrive on Saturday morning around 10 and have the rest of the day Saturday and most of Sunday free, as well as Tuesday afternoon. In particular, I am considering a half-day bus or train tour south to Wicklow and the Avoca area, and was thinking that a half-day tour to Newgrange might be interesting as well. I would appreciate your advice on itinerary, including thoughts about bus vs. train, and some insight about any tours that might be available on Sundays. From what I have seen thus far in my research, most tours do not operate on Sunday, but I fear I may not arrive in time on Saturday to catch one out of the city (the south-bound tours, at least, seem to depart around 1:00, with bookings to be completed by 12:00). I have considered car rental, but think that may be more trouble than it is worth, and I will be traveling alone - without someone to read the map - so it probably would be more enjoyable to have someone else do the driving. Thanks in advance for your suggestions about destinations and tour companies.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:39 AM

If you're interested in "ancient" Irish history, Newgrange is very worthwhile. I believe you can get a bus tour there or rent a car. It's an easy drive by Ireland standards as the road is good.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:38 AM

I would not rent a car to Newgrange as its a bit tricky to find. We drove for an hour looking for Newgrange and all we saw were signs for the Battle of the Boyne in Irish...same place. We felt like idiots as we live her!<BR><BR>1/2 Day is too short for a trip outside Dublin. They have the open top bus tour which is good for a half day. As well they have whole day tours that can take you to Avoca in Wicklow, Powerscourt (I reccommend this) and Glendolough as well as Newgrange. Also there are severl great museums in the City. Kildare street, Nasseau street (art museum) and Collins Barricks Museum. Guinness is a fun tour and the view at the bar in the end overlooks the entire city and is lovely on a clear day.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:31 AM

Siobhan is correct (she should know). Half day trips outside the city aren't real practical. Most of the guided tours are a full day. There is plenty to see in Dublin. Use the one full day for a trip either south to the Wicklow mountains or north to Newgrange. Use the partial days to enjoy Dublin. <BR><BR>Travel by yourself in a car on your first day with jet lag could be trouble. Also, it might be hard to rent a car for just one day. Many companies have a three day minimum. And yes, it's confusing finding Newgrange and you will find yourself lost quite a bit. I like that aspect myself, but not with only one day.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Ardfert

I would go for Wicklow/Glendalough on Sat and then head for Newgrange early on Sunday morning.It is little more than an hour from Dublin.Drive to Drogheda on the main road to Belfast and there is a sign there almost opposite MacDonalds directing you out the country a few miles to a site that is more ancient than the Pyramids of Egypt.If you leave it later in the day you may not get in as it has limited capacity,having been built about 5,000 years ago.