Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Concise advice: The 100 Best Travel Tips (of 10 words or less)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Amy

It's been a while since we've seen a 100 Best list, so how about summing up the best travel advice you've ever given, gotten, or learned through bitter experience? I'll start with some of my favorites: <BR>1. Put anything liquid in a double ziplock to pack. <BR>2. Get a four digit ATM; memorize by number. <BR>3. Smile. <BR>4. In a foreign country, you're the foreigner. <BR>5. Bidets are for personal hygiene.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:50 PM
janis

Amy - your #4 is the most important. People should tattoo that on their wrist to remind them.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Bob

1. Pack light. He who packs it, carries it. <BR> <BR>2. Enjoy the differences. That is why you travel. <BR> <BR>3. Take spare plastic zip lock bags. <BR> <BR>4. Hard sided suitcases are best. Just ask the airlines. <BR> <BR>5. Take a current map.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Amy! You must be a taurus, starting such a "practical" thread! <BR> <BR>6. Make sure you can carry/roll/lift your luggage <BR>7. Don't worry about looking like a tourist <BR>8. Bring good maps <BR>9. Don't rush - Allow sufficient time to "soak up the atmosphere" <BR>10. Have photocopies of your passport in alternate places <BR>11. Try to meet soemone new at each location <BR>12. Don't overpack <BR>13. Bring a light sweater aboard the plane <BR>14. Buy that special souvenir - or you'll regret it later! <BR>15. Use public transportation - it allows for mingling with the locals

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Book Chick

1. Have an open mind & learn something new. <BR> <BR>2. Pack lightly & then even lighter. <BR> <BR>3. Live by the golden rule. <BR> <BR>4. You are a guest; be kind to your host(s)/hostess(es). <BR> <BR>5. Some experiences might be unpleasant-that's life! <BR> <BR>6. Expect delays somewhere along the line. <BR> <BR>7. Be flexible! <BR> <BR>BC

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Cindy

1. Don't Worry. <BR> <BR>2. Be Happy.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Amy

Gulp! Funny, Mariarosa--I never realized my "sign" was showing. You are right on target--or taurus, should I say. <BR>Great tips so far-- I definitely agree with the public transportation, packing, and savoring the moment and enjoying the folks you meet. Happy travels, all!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:16 PM
JOdy

All great so far, <BR>I especially agree with the hard sided suitcase, at least one between the two. <BR> <BR>My best tip.. divide your clothes between his and her suitcases,, one is lost , no problem at least you both have 1/2 of what you were bringing, which is probably all you needed anyway! <BR> <BR>Second tip- RELAX you are on vacation, no phones, no laptops,your office will survive, no papers if you don't want them , no worries, be happy!!!!!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Danna

I tried to find where we were numbered on the list... but lost track. <BR>1. Take a plastic funnel and small coffee filters. (found this tip on this forum) <BR>2. Air out shoes often... <BR>3. Talk to strangers... they will become your best memories.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:54 PM
StCirq

1. Leave your work worries behind - Europeans would. <BR>2. Take Ziplock bags to put dirty clothes in on the way back. <BR>3. Drink lots of water on the plane over. <BR>4. Use your ATM card to get cash, but put ALL your credit card purchases on ONE credit card so you have a complete record that's easy to check when you get home. <BR>5. Don't try to fool the Ag people by bringing in confiscatable substances on the way home - you could be the start of an epidemic. <BR>6. Learn enough of the language of the country you're visiting to "break the ice" and be polite - this is often very little. <BR>7. Don't expect things to be the way they are in the USA - adapt and in some cases, submit. <BR>8. Have an adventurous spirit. Go out of your way to make contact with people or to roam to an unusual spot. Get creative. If you've taken the time and spent the money to go to Rome or Paris or Split of Prague or Vienna, find something weird andunusual that will "nail" the trip for you - make it your own. Come home with a special memory, not just "here we are on the Rialto." <BR>8. Take notes or do a trip book or find a way to memorialize your trip. Be creative with this too. Keep a journal, take a tape recorder, whatever suits you. <BR>9. Read a WHOLE lot before you go, and consult and make sure you have good maps. Maps are essential to good traveling. <BR>10. Have copies of your passport and traveler's cheques and anything else important stashed somewhere apart from where you keep the originals. <BR>11. Be alert. Europe isn't dangerous, but you DO have to keep your wits about you when traveling, and you'll already be distracted by trying to figure out where you are, how you get to wherever, what the conversion rate is, etc. Don't expect to roam about Europe the way you'd, say, roam around your home town. Be alert and stay safe.I'm NOT one of those people who does elaborate hide-the-money stuff in under-the-clothing rituals, but I am ever-vigilant and have never been robbed. <BR>12. Don't expect Europe to be perfect. There are plenty of places in Europe that are ugly, crass, gross, and unpleasant. I'll never forget stopping at Mazamet in France one night and having a guy in the town square throw up on the bench and hordes of teenagers ride through town throwing condoms out the windows - there wasn't a decent restaurant in town, to boot. OK, we coped, chalked it up to experience. Plenty of French people end up in lousy little towns in the US, too. Get over it and go on to the next place. You can't always plan a perfect vacation. <BR>13. Go with hope. Hope that you will be enriched, learn something, be enhanced by the experience - you will be. <BR>14. If you're the type that writes to people back home while on vacation, buy a bunch of labels ahead of time and address them to your friends so you don't need to take an address book with you. Just peel and stick.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Larisa

1. Don't underpack too - have a spare pair of shoes, or more, if you plan to walk a lot. You never know in which place you will get another blister. <BR>2. Band-Aid, Band-Aid, Band-Aid. <BR>3. folding umbrella in any weather <BR>4. secret pocket for money - tourists are the favorite targets <BR>5. several copies of the city plan - you loose it or it falls apart from frequent use. <BR>6. swiss army knife w/ bottle openers <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:19 PM
StCirq

Larisa: HOW could I have forgotten the Swiss Army Knife/Lagioule Knife? Yes, essential!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Larisa

We are here to share advice and good laugh, and help each other

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Voice-Of-Experience

Never pass up the opportunity to use a clean bathroom.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Larisa

How right and to the point. <BR>Which reminds me the item I overlooked: <BR>6. roll of toilet paper ALWAYS in your bag (part of the roll, of course). Helps in 1 to 10 cases.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:56 PM
steve

Self catering

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Betsy

Earplugs!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Michael

1. Water. Hydrate on the plane -- and before. <BR>2. Get one of those nifty, sharp French folding maket kinves! And don't put it in your carry-on bags! They are great for spur-of-the-moment picnics. <BR>3. Bring a cheap, fold-up wine opening -- whereever you go. <BR>4. Dry cleaner bags! Fold your clothes n them. You will never have a wrinkle. <BR>5. Dry cleaner folded shirt bags. Put your spare shoes in them -- they fit perfectly. Better yet -- don't bring spare shoes; just use the ones you wear. <BR>6. Previous post about putting liquids in zip-lock bags are dead-on: they will save your live and clothes. <BR>7. I love the DK illustrated travel books. Get one for where you are going; they are loaded with history, color photos, maps, and great tips. They are gems. <BR>8. Remember what your mom said: bring clean underear -- especially in your carry-on. If they lose your bag -- and the airlines have lost mine several time on overnight flights -- make sure you have clean undies and toiletries to last until they find your bag. Trust me on that one. <BR>9. Bring a junkies disposable camera along with your good camera equipement. You would be amazed how it comes in handy in a pinch. And they are tiny. <BR>10. Spend 5 minutes in a bad mood befor you take off -- then clear the air and get on with having a great time. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 03:19 AM
The counter

We left off at #69. <BR> <BR># 70 For the designated driver. Have them practice for weeks on end prior to your departure by driving at speeds in excess of 100mph on the interstate, flashing their lights at anyone who will not get out of their way. Make sure they have adequate time to hohn their honking skills as well. Give them the famous international symbol (of you are an idiot, jerk, you get the picture) so they are used to it and don't react violently the first time they see it. Make them run around in circles so they be accustomed to doing the same on the famous turnabouts. Remember what the navigator says, goes! Even when it is shouted at the very last possible second that you need to be in the left lane, 5 lanes over, and must exit.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Goldfinger

Hey Book Chick, what exactly is this 'Golden Rule' we're supposed to live by ? Must dash - gotta honk my 'hohning' skills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -