Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Comparing scenic areas on Atlantic coast in Ireland

Mar 5th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I want to see rural, not urban Ireland when we're there in July. We have no interest at all in city tours, pub crawls, etc. We are much more interested in getting out and about and walking around places like the Burren than in hop on-hop off bus tours of Dublin; no offense intended; that's just who we are.

I will NOT rent a car! I can't watch the scenery and watch the road at the same time.

I like the idea of making our way to Galway and taking some day tours around Connemara and the Burren.

If we do tour those areas, I'm curious whether also touring some place like the Dingle peninsula (which I strongly prefer over the Ring of Kerry) would just be too much of the same sort of scenery. True, it'd all be beautiful, but are there other rural scenic areas elsewhere that we should prefer, if we start with Connemara and Burren and then have 2-3 more days before we have to head onward?

Thanks.

Tom
Mar 5th, 2016, 08:55 AM

Connemara, the Burren, and Dingle are different from one another. In my view, they are sufficiently different to warrant including all of them in your itinerary if you have enough time.

How energetic are you? Hiring a bicycle is another option.

[This Dubliner is not at all offended by your preferences.]
Mar 5th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Nowhere along the western coast is the same but nowhere is unique each area has its own points. Connemara is mountains lakes and bogland, the Burren is a whole lot more than the "moonscape" and the cliffs of Moher are one of a number of sea cliffs along the Atlantic Coastline. Some would argue the Cill Éinne cliffs on Inis Mor are more accessible vertical Cliffs than Moher and again Loop Head has cliffs and the Lighthouse but unfortunately in this case no bus tours (yet).

For Connemara you could get the bus from Galway, stay a couple of days in Clifden and explore the area on foot and or by bicycle (electric if required) Another cycle option is the Greenway from a Westport base and possibly walk up Croagh Patrick?

Not sure why you prefer Dingle to Iveragh? Personally I prefer Beara but tours of there are extremely limited. Sheeps Head and the Mizzen are great walking points but isolated.
Mar 8th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your comments. They are very helpful!

As for Dingle vs Iveragh, it's strictly a question of knowledge! All the travel brochures and websites I've looked at so far talk about Dingle and I don't recall seeing Iveragh mentioned at all! I'll definitely check that out, now that I have a personal recommendation!

As for bikes, we're past that time in our lives, I'm afraid! Moderate day hiking is well within our range, but I never learned more than an old fashioned three speed!

By the way: (no offense intended) do they ride bikes on the left side of the road in the UK?

Sorry; couldn't resist that!

Tom
Mar 8th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Tom,
Other than the six counties in the north eastern corner of the island, Ireland is not in the UK.
Mar 8th, 2016, 12:23 PM

http://www.fahertytours.com/ Great tours of the Aran islands from Galway bus station.

http://www.galwaytourcompany.com/gtc/daytours.jsp
Also good tours.

You can take a direct train to Westport from Dublin and hike there. Clare Island is close by also.

http://www.taxiwestport.ie/sightseeing-tours/
Mar 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM

Iveragh is the actual peninsula that the Ring of Kerry bus route goes round. As well as the bus route you also have the Skellig Ring which includes Valentia Island and the north western tip of Iveragh (But not the Skellig islands). There is also the Black Valley connecting the Gap of Dunloe with Moll's Gap. Glencar up by Killorglin on the north of the peninsula. Of course no Rick Steves recommends badge and no Fungi the Dolphin just an unfortunate reputation as a busy tour bus route. Just get off the bus route and there is a whole lot you can investigate.

http://www.gokerry.ie/index.php?acti...&location_id=2

No harm asking if we ride bikes on the right, but you might want a guide book that doesn't have Ireland in the UK.