Reload this Page >

Comparing Rome hotels: Pantheon, Domus Aventina, Internazionale or Manfredi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:33 AM
bashful

Appreciated the help we got on Venice hotels. Still not sure what choice we will make.<BR><BR>But now we need to make choices for Rome.<BR><BR>We have stayed at Cesari before. We are going with another couple (two others actually, one of them has never been to Italy before). We would like similar to the Cesari or maybe a little nicer.<BR><BR>These four are on our list.<BR><BR>The Pantheon is more expensive. Once again, my question is, what do you get for that additional expense?<BR><BR>Domus Aventina webpage on www.italyhotel.com doesn't seem to work correctly for the pictures. Anyone know this place?<BR><BR>I gather that Internazionale and Manfredi are both near Piazza di spagna. Is it a zoo around there in early May (8-11)? I can't find Manfredi on the zone 5 map of www.italyhotel.com am I just overlooking it?<BR><BR>http://www.venere.it/roma/roma_Z5.html.it<BR><BR>I hope I am copying this webpage address correctly in here.<BR><BR>Thank you very much.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 05:51 PM
bashful

I was hoping that I might hear somethimg more about these hotels, but maybe I need to do some more research.<BR><BR>In the meantime, I suppose I ought to share the special sale fare that made this trip possible for us in the first place.<BR><BR>You can read about it at<BR><BR>http://www.nwa.com/features/italy.shtml<BR><BR>$899 roundtrip from Indiana/Michigan to Rome in business class. This is pretty good deal, don't you think?<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 05:59 PM
Patrick

I was not pleased with the Internazionale. If you do a search here you will probably find my rather long post about our experiences there. Not familiar with the others, but my choice for location would be the Pantheon. I did not really like being above the Spanish Steps -- not because it was too busy, just because it was too far from where we like to be -- mainly Piazza Navonna, Fiori, and the Pantheon areas.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:42 PM
bashful

Thank you, Patrick.<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 09:01 PM
bashful

Here I am up late again. Isn't that Duke something? And I hope that the young lady gets her husband to make good on her trip to Paris.<BR><BR>I think that Internazionale will get scratched from what Patrick said. And I have learned more about the area of the Domus Aventina, and I believe that it is not at all where would want to be.<BR><BR>We have come up with two more names. The Grand Hotel Plaza and the Colonna Palace. I don't know if I should make this into a new message. It would have been easier than finding this one.<BR><BR>If you know anything about either of these two hotels, I would appreciate what you have to say.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance.<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 06:24 AM
Paulo

Bashful, the last time we travelled to Rome was in summer 97 Once hotel, restaurant &amp; such info is pretty "perishable", I have refrained myself to contribute in these matters.<BR><BR>Anyway, I haven't used any of the listed hotels. Regarding location only, my personal order of preference would be (starting with best): Albergo del Sole al Pantheon - Manfredi/Internazionale - Domus Aventina. The Manfredi and Internazionale are indeed very close to Piazza di Spagna (Manfredi to the north and Internazionale to the south) and locationwise are a toss up. I wouldn't consider the Domus Aventina; it's way off what one may call the thick of the action, southwest from the Colosseum.<BR><BR>Our preferred hotel in Rome (though we were able to make it there only once) is the Teatro di Pompeo (even if some posters have done some negative remarks on the immediate vicinities to the hotel - worn out square, street market noise, etc - in the last 2 years). What we like in the hotel is its size - very small so that you feel at home.<BR><BR>Paulo

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:12 AM
carol

I stayed at the Colonna Palace last February as part of an air/hotel Alitalia package, and I strongly recommend it. It's a large, antique-y place, with many European guests. What I loved was its location opposite the Parliament, right on the auto-free, huge and beautiful piazza Montecitorio. I also loved the roof terrace where a large buffet breakfast is served in warm weather. Our room was a decent size, with a big bathroom and a closet in the foyer. If you book there, ask for one of the renovated rooms and also specify that you want a quiet room.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:35 AM
bashful

Thank you very much, Carol.<BR><BR>Is that your actual e-mail address? I guess that it is not. As you can see, I don't use my real one either. I was just wondering if you have traveled that extensively in Italy that you chose that as your e-mail name.<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR><BR>Irvin <BR><BR>P.S. I am trying to overcome my shyness, but I think I have to keep posting under the name bashful so people will know it is me. Does that make sense?<BR><BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Surlok

Beware of Hotel Plaza in Rome, I stayed there. It's expensive, and the concierge is a bluff. He sent me to a non existent address, and made me loose a lot of time. Besides, the hotel isn't well kept. One can smell the decay in the air. The lounges are undoubtdly beautiful, but not the corridors, elevators, and bathrooms.<BR><BR>Please, read the comments about the Plaza on Fodor's rants&amp; raves section.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:27 PM
bashful

Surlok,<BR><BR>You nearly crushed me with these remarks about the Grand Hotel Plaza. Were you also the person that posted the comments "take a mop and some Lysol" on Rants and Raves? I am hoping that your experience was not typical, and I was somewhat reassured by a post by Kailyn.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/messages.cfm?fid=2&amp;tid=1288033&amp;numresponse s=11<BR><BR>that said she had experienced a very nice stay there just recently.<BR><BR>I think our plan for now will to be to stick with the Grand Hotel Plaza, but go visit the St. Regis Grand for dinner our first night. Our itinerary has us in Rome on May 4 (one night) and then again May 8-11 before we go back home. If we don't like the Grand Hotel Plaza, we may try the Minerva or the St. Regis Grand (despite its $600 a night price tag), if we can get in at either one with just three days' notice.<BR><BR>In the final analysis, I guess I will run all this past my son-in-law who is putting all this together for us. I think some of you all know him here. His name is Rex.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>"Irvin"<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Surlok

I stayed at the Grand Plaza a year ago, and no, I posted under the name Maria, but I agree. Lysol is urgently needed there. <BR> <BR>As far as you don't use the elevator, to go to the rooms, the hotel is beautiful, but there're much nicer hotels in Rome, as the St. Regis Grand. This one is the best one can ask for, although the location is not the best in town, unless you're in a business stay. <BR> <BR>Other wonderful hotels are the Eden ( I stayed there, too, three years ago). It's beautiful and immaculate. The view from the rooftop restaurant is magnificent. <BR> <BR>If you want to insist with the Plaza, I wish you a better house keeper than the one I had. maybe you can buy her some Lysol..

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Rex

Our plan includes a one-night stay (yes, all the postings from "bashful" - - attributed to "Irvin" - - my father-in-law were, indeed from me) at the Grand Hotel Plaza, and cross our fingers that your experience is NOT representative. At least one other posting here is much more positive about the G.H. Plaza. <BR> <BR>We're then scheduled to go back there later in the week; if it seems unacceptable, I will go into "scurry" mode, and come up with plan B on the fly. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Paster

cut n pasted from another thread <BR> <BR>Author: Yikes! ([email protected]_there_Nellie) <BR>Date: 5/09/2001, 9:35 pm ET <BR> <BR>Message: Uh oh. <BR> <BR>It's worse than I thought. Based on Ed's information that Rex sometimes posts as "bashful", I did a search. There were a few hits. One hit was on one of the "Join my trip" threads that Rex started. Bashful posted a response in support of Rex's right to advertise his trips here, and then Rex thanked "bashful." The other hits were on legitimate travel threads in which "bashful" started the thread to get some mundane travel advice about an upcoming Italy trip. <BR> <BR>So what do we have here? Rex is willing to post under a fake name when he doesn't have all of the answers, to preserve his status on the board as all-knowing, maybe so he can belittle others with travel questions. And when attacked, he'll post as a fake supporter of his, and then thank himself for the support. <BR> <BR>Whoa! If you don't believe it, do your own search. <BR> <BR> <BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR> <BR> <BR>