Reload this Page >

Compare Chateau de la Treyne with Chateau Mercues in the Dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:51 AM
carol

We have to choose between one for a big splurge and wonder which we would enjoy most. Has anyone stayed at both? Or do you have other suggestions. We love historical places and don't really care whether or not something is super elegant - we're travelling with kids, ages 9 & 13. Thanks

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:42 PM
StCirq

There could be an easy answer. Since Château de Mercuès is not in the Dordogne and is a fair piece down the road from most of the things you'll want to visit if the Dordogne is your destination, then you should stay at the Château de la Treyne.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:00 PM
jo ann

Carol, I stayed at Chateau de la Treyne in 1989 and then again in 1999. I was nervous, thinking surely the place wasn't as special as I recalled. Well, it was! (as an aside,we were 4: myself, my husband,our 10 yr old daughter and my 70 year old mother, and we all loved it there.) The setting from the terrace (dinner & breakfast) is breathtaking, the approach by road bowls you over, the staff is incredible, the grounds are wonderful, the rooms are huge, the yellow lab that "hangs out" with you on the terrace (without begging for handouts), the presentation of the meals.... It's elegant without being intimidating in the least. <BR>Don't know your other choice (altho sounds like the first poster noted a "gud" factor that knocks it out) but I believe you would love the Chateau de la Treyne.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:18 PM
carol

Thanks for both replies. We will be in the vicinity of both chateaux but only feel like we should splurge for one. It gets expensive paying for an extra room everywhere for the kids! Thanks.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 06:42 PM
maureen

We stayed at the Mercues last May and had a wonderful time. If available, stay in the tower room with the roof that opens. Wonderful dinner, gracious staff, impressive wine cellar (private tour if requested). They also have a handsome but aloof dog - Febus.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
carol

Can anyone who has stayed at both chateaux compare them? Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:06 AM
StCirq

I haven't stayed at the Treyne, but I've gazed up at it enough times to know that, much as I like the Mercuès, I'd rather be at la Treyne. Also, if your aim is to visit the main sites of the Périgord, the Mercuès is way too far away (not even in the département of the Dordogne). Even la Treyne is a bit "out of the loop" IF your goal is to see the prehistoric caves, etc. For visiting Rocamadour, the Gouffre de Padirac, Collonges-la-Rouge, Martel, etc., it's a great base location.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:33 PM
carol

Now I can answer my own question - we stayed at both. Both were lovely. Relatively near the Mercues, we visited the Chateau de Boniquil, Peche Merle caves and St. Cirq La Popie. The Mercues seemed slightly more medieval to us (moat, terrace with ramparts); the La Treyne had MUCH better food, fluffier towels, a slightly more elegant feel. They were both great.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:40 PM
StCirq

Thanks for the comparison, Carol. I'll make a note for people who ask in the future. In Cahors, the place to eat, by the way, is at the Hôtel Terminus - one of the best restaurant addresses in the SW of France, and not a big draw on the pocketbook, either.

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:17 AM
mike

Does anyone have any web addresses or contact numbers for either hotel?Thanks.

Old May 24th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Rex

For Château de Mercuès, <BR> <BR>http://www.relaischateaux.com:80/sit...ent?RcId=70931 <BR> <BR>Tel: (33) 05 65 20 00 01 <BR>Fax: (33) 05 65 20 05 72 <BR> <BR>Calling from the US, omit the "0" after the "33". <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 24th, 2001, 03:47 PM
StCirq

Here's a website for Château de la Treyne: http://www.karenbrown.com/franceinns/latreyne.html <BR> <BR> <BR>E-mail is: [email protected] <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 12:47 PM
mike

I've made enquiries with the hotel Mercues and have been quoted 950 francs a night .This sounds very reasonable for a four star or are there rooms to avoid.Also what's the swimming pool like,and what do people do in the evenings?(we will have a hire car).There seems to be a number of experts in this region of france out there so any help will be appreciated. <BR>Mike

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 12:23 PM
mike

Anyone?

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 01:20 PM
StCirq

Mike: Sorry, I lost track of this thread. The swimming pool is at one end of the property, surrounded by gardens - a large pool in a lovely setting. What most people do at night is dress up and sit down to one of the château's famous dinners - this will last for 203 hours, and afterward you'll probably not have much energy left for more than a stroll around the grounds, a bath, and bed. But you an also go into Cahors, which is a wonderfully cheerful, lively town, and hang out with the locals.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 02:24 PM
paul

Those reading this thread and planning a trip to this lovely region might also be interested in reading this article in the Los Angeles Times travel section (dated April 29, 2001, titled _The Best of the Lot_). It currently is at: <BR> <BR>http://www.latimes.com/travel/specials/ <BR>europe

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 01:17 AM
mike

Thanks for the above info. <BR>One further point,I plan to return to Paris in a day is this reasonable or is it just too far in a small-ish hire car? <BR>Mike

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:43 AM
StCirq

Mike: <BR> <BR>It's a long ride - count on 7-8 hours - but you could make it.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:49 AM
mike

That seems to be quite a distance,I wonder, does anyone have any recommendations of hotels equivalent to the above higher up in the Dordogne,I will be travelling this August so may have left things a little late.I am looking for good quality hotels with a pool.I have had excellent first hand advice from this site in the past.Thank You.Mike.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:18 AM
StCirq

Mike: <BR> <BR>By "higher up," I take it you mean farther north and closer to Paris? You might consider the Moulin de l'Abbaye in Brantôme (direct dial from USA: 011-33-5-53-05-80-22; fax: 011-33-5-53-05-75-27). But it would be a bit of a haul from there to the main sites in the Dordogne. <BR>