Reload this Page >

Comments/suggestions on Europe Itenerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Judi

We are planning to travel to Europe in Sept/Oct. Plan to spend about 1 month...here's the plan. Brussels, Burges, Antwarp, Amsterdam, Rhineland River Cruise, Frankfort, Zurich, Innsbrook, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Dresdin, Berlin..back to USA. Plan to use eurorail to travel throughout...Also would like comments on Rhineland River Cruise. Thanks...

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Art

Is this your first trip. It is very ambitious. You could spend a week alone in Places like Budapest, Prague etc. What are you goals? <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:08 PM
xxx

Sounds like a scavenger hunt to me - - or maybe adding to a matchbook collection. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Linda

We were able to take a river cruise with the eurorail card. I agree with Art that the travel is ambitious. With all of those places, you will be moving every other day. Why not pick 2 or 3 countries and save the rest. Then, take daytrips so you don't have to pack/unpack & look for new hotels. What are your interests? What do you really want to see?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Al

You say "we" are making these plans. Who is "we"? If you are two adults, you will be too much on-the-go. If you have children with you (including teenagers), you will drive yourself and the kids nuts. You will exhaust yourselves. Better to follow the old adage: the more you travel, the less you see. Slow down. Do less. Enjoy more.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Patrick

15 destinations means 2 nights each, pretty fast and meaning that after travel between each two spots it doesn't leave much time to really get to know a city. I'd try to cut out several, although 3 nights in a city normally gives you a pretty good taste of things. For example, I'd stay 4 nights in Brugge and do Antwerp one day as a day trip, and Brussels one day as a day trip. I'd cut out Frankfort all together on this trip, but spend 3 nights somewhere like Rudesheim or Koblenz. You can use your Eurrail pass to hop on and off all the KD river boats and explore the river and the towns. I'd also probably do Dresden as a day trip from Berlin. Although I love Zurich, I'd probably cut it out in your one month itinerary. I am assuming you already have somehow planned for a flight into Brussels and back from Berlin? I know many people will try to limit you to just a couple of places, but I have been very happy covering a lot territory and spending 3 or so nights in several places. This would be my suggestion: Brugges 3, Amsterdam 4, Rhine River (Rudesheim would be my choice) 3, Munich 3, Innsbruck 2, Salzburg 2, Vienna 3, Budapest 3, Prague 3, Berlin 4. Total of 30 nights. <BR>Limiting to this number of stays cuts the packing, unpacking, and moving problems down dramatically. And with a rail pass, the day trips become a lot easier that arriving at each city with luggage and hotel checking in.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Sue

I second Patrick's itinerary. That way you have a good taste of each place and don't have to decamp and schlep your bags every other day. Then if there are some places you particularly like, you can go back for a longer time later.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Judi

Thanks Patrick for your comments. We have taken your suggestions..will save Switzerland for another trip....and added an additional week to our trip....has anyone taken the riverboat from Prague to Dresden? I was told to take it from Dresden to Prague? does it go both ways? Also, do you know how long it takes by train from Budapest to Prague? Thank you for your input.