Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Comments please:Paris, Holland , Bruges itinerary

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 06:17 PM
Victor

My girlfriend and I are planning the following trip end of April. Fly to Paris arriving Sat morning. Spend 2 days there with night spent at 3 ducks hostel. Take train Sunday night to Amsterdam. Spend 3 days going around Holland using 3 day train pass returning each night to Amsterdam staying at Flying Pig Vondelpark. Use trainpass on Wednesday to get to south of Holland and purchase ticket to Bruges. Basing ourselves in Bruges at Bauhaus hostel , see Bruges on Thursday, make roundtrips to Gent on Fri and Antwerp on Saturday. Sunday head back to Paris ( or possibly Brussels) for afternoon flight home.
My questions are :
1) Is this a good itinerary. 2) Are the named hostels good ones. 3) Suggestions where to go in Holland (we've been to Amst. Haarlem Utrecht Gouda Edam Lisse/kirkenhof Hoge velew zans shans
volendam on our last trip) We'd like to do some bike riding in the countryside.
4) Will we be missing some good scenery by going Paris-> amsterdam at night. 5) Can we do the named Belgian cities in a day each. 6) Is the weekend of May 6-7 a holiday weekend in Belgium , if so will it be a proble

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Sjoerd

Answers:
1. You won't miss any good scenery by taking the night train from Paris to Amsterdam.
2. April 29 (Queen's Day) and May 5 (Liberation Day) will be public holidays in the Netherlands.
3. I don't really know the Flying Pig, but hear it is a "party hostel". Perhaps the Youth Hostel in Vondelpark is a better choice: cheap and clean and own bath. www.njhc.org/vondelpark
4. A nice cycling tour is South of Amsterdam:
follow the river Gein from Driemond to Abcoude, then follow the Vecht river south to Breukelen, then East via Loosdrecht to the Hilversum area. Very different scenery (rivers, moors, heaths) in a relatively small area.
Enjoy!
5. Delft is a nice stop and on your way to Belgium.

Sjoerd

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:28 PM
victor

Thanks for those answers. I forgot to mention that we've seen Delft. I had an interesting experience there. We had rented bikes and got seperated. It took me hours to find where I had left her because all the streets look alike they all have canals. Have you been to Zeeland? I think that may be picturesque with lots of windmills. Have you been to Bruges ,Gent, and Antwerp any ideas on that is 3 days enough or should we leave off one for another time?

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Sjoerd

Zeeland is not known for its windmills, If you like (lots of) windmills, go to Kinderdijk near Dordrecht.
Zeeland has some nice towns: Middelburg, Zierikzee, Veere.
Gent, Brugge and Antwerpen are all nice. Brugge is the nicest but basically "only" a tourist town. You could spend more than one day in each, but a day will give you a good first impression.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Victor

Sjoerd,

To do that bike trip you mentioned above. Where would be the best place to rent bikes. Should we rent in Amsterdam and take the bikes to Driemond on the train, or is there a bike rental in Driemond. Or is it close enoough to bike to from Amsterdam.