comments on itinerary welcome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 3 week trip to Italy for next May...landing in Milan and driving to Parma, Modena, Bologna, Ravenna, San Marino, Assisi, Perugia, Cortona, Pienza and surrounding towns and out to the coast up to Cinque Terre and back to Milan...Since I don't see any comments on San Marino, I'm wondering if it's worth the time and how about Parma, Modena and Bologna? Would appreciate all comments...Thanks! Mary
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:05 PM

We had one full day and two nights in the Cinque Terra. If you like tiny picturesce towns hanging on an sea cliff, you'll love it. No museums but good food. I wish we had had another day there but it's a place for beauty and hiking, not excitement.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:30 PM

Great itinerary, San Marino is cute but less impressive then most of the other cities that you have included in your itinerary.

Parma is wonderful, a lot of things to see and do. I recently gave several suggestions about Parma on a posting of October 15...but I can not manage to copy the link...so here I am copying the contents of my previous posting

"LEAVING FRIDAY THANK YOU" POSTING

There is a lot of see and do in Parma, you will be suprised...
Here are some of the the "Do not miss" Let me know if you need more info

FOOD:
Prosciutto di Parma and salame di Felino, seved with torta fritta, Tortelli di Parma (with swisschard) and Tortelli di Zucca (Pumpkin ravioli), if you dare there is another local specialty..horsemeat served raw with lemon and olive oil (similar to a steak tartar but lighter). Try the local sparkling wine Malvasia.
You can try one of the local Trattoria on Strada Farini (Sorelli Picchi or Trattoria del tribunale) and before dinner you could stop at one of the local Vinoteca to try a glass of the local wine (there are a couple just off Via Farini). Some of the best and most expensive restaurants are "Greppia", La Filoma, Parizzi.
ART:
The Duomo and Battistero, The "Camera di San Paolo", Steccata church.
There are also so incredible museums, if you have the time and you might be interested: Galleria Nazionale and the wonderful Teatro Farnese, Museo Magnani Rocca (outside the city - a good article about this museum on Conde Nast Travel few months ago)
MONUMENTS OUTSIDE THE CITY:
You should see at least one castle, maybe Torrechiara castle or Fontanellato but you will need a car to visit these unless you get a tour guide with car.
You can find more information at the following page:
http://www.castellidelducato.it/ingl...elli/intro.htm
SHOP:
The Violet perfume shop "Borsari" close to the Piazza Garibaldi (the address in on Strada Repubblica)

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:52 AM
ira

Hi

We recently did a day in Bologna. It's well worth a visit. See my trip report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

We also visited Timburini and brought home a kilo of Reggiano Parmigiano.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:11 AM

We just spent 3 days in Bologna, Parma and Modena....did the parmigianno riggiano, prosciutto and balsamic vinegar tours and ATE tons......Bologna and Parma "el centro" are great....in Parma we loved Hotel Torino in the heart of town and ate wonderful food at Rigoletto.

In Modena we went to a pro soccer game....but the town was not pretty and the soccer game was not nice until after we sat down....the cultueal experience was amazing.

The Pienza area was great but the driving can get to you....you have to drive like locals and have the stomach ready for hundreds of curves....luckily we had drivers (my husban and a friend) who drived like locals but my stomach never accepted the bouncing.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

thorspecken, WILLIAMFRA, ira and abita: Thank you all for your great tips. I will continue on with our itinerery as planned...just needed that extra encouragement...I'm a "newby" to this board and now that you've responded, I feel accepted!! Mary