ComfyShoes's trip to Spain: Thanks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM
ComfyShoes

Friends,

Many of you helped me a great deal in planning for a 2-1/2 week long trip to Spain (http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34954915). I really enjoyed it all, drove almost 3000 km in eight days (out of a 18 day trip.... used metro/buses in the rest which was very convenient in Madrid area, actually), went to Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Sevilla, Granada, Nerja, Mijas, Ronda, Jerez, etc and wanted to thank:

- Josele: who spent plenty of time finetuning my itinerary (I hit every restaurant you recommended..... ate wonderful partridge in Hierbabuena in Toledo, and went to La Mesa Redonda in Jerez, Parador Gibralfaro in Malaga.... etc etc.... all were fantastic! and your travel directions were so complete that I could pick El Corte Ingles on my left, Correos building on the right, down to the parking lot in Malaga! I got major points for being extremely organized with my family! Also took your advice and went to Nerja too where I liked the caves which reminded me of Gaudi architecture.... I liked the Xavier Jimenez sherry shots at La Mesa Redonda almost just as much ).

- laclaire: I went to Candido in Segovia, El Pimpi in Malaga, AND Cafe con libro for a coffee too! In Segovia, Senor Candido came out to our table and did a cutting-the-pig with a plate for us with interesting fanfare breaking the plate with a smash! I have several interesting pictures of him with the roman aquaduct in the background, and yes, we did sit on the first floor with the view of the aquaduct.

- lincasanova: Couldn't go to Los Cien Montaditos in Madrid but walked past it... I did attend the flamenco show in Casa de la Memoria in Sevilla which we all enjoyed... fantastic authentic Sevillana. Thanks for other advice too.

- laartista: Mijas is touristy but still quite nice. Thanks.

- annhig & annabelle2 & Kenderina: Thanks for all the museum info. I was not a museum person when I went but I deeply enjoyed it and now am a museum goer I took a multiday/multimuseum pass which one of you recommended and loved it. Never been to a place like Prado.... Thyssen is special too specially with the new collection.... I loved Valezquez, Goya, and others although felt El Greco was out of place and needs to be in a church to appreciate them, I couldn't go to Sorolla due to schedule conflict but that's okay... Sorry to say but didn't care much for Picasso museum in Malaga but it was a good experience to get to know that! Seeing Guernica had spoilt us all, I guess. Annabelle, I went to Santiago Bernabau on my last day because my son plays soccer..... good stuff... their locker rooms are amazing! You should see it. It is complete with high intensity massage and jacuzzis).

- amyb: As you said, I skipped PalacioReal because I had too many things to do! Thanks for other advice too.

- finally, miaspapa: No, I didn't go to a bullfight

The weather was sunny and balmy mid-70s almost all the time we were there, and I came back with nearly a thousand amazing shots.

So.... Thanks a bunch, guys. A newcomer to this site thanks to a friend, this is an amazingly helpful site and you guys are great! Really appreciated all your advice and time and with this post, I wish you my best wishes.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comfy !!! Glad you had a great time
I see that you didn't feel hungry while in Spain, hehehe. Next time, you have to visit Barcelona and Nou Camp , those are really luxury lockers !!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM

So nice you visited the El Pimpi!!
Don't you think you are getting away with this post, we want a FULL REPORT! (with photos, if possible). So get to it right now.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I agree with Josele !!!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
ComfyShoes

Guys, I have never written a trip report before (but it will be an interesting enough and funny enough read.... I think) so it will take me some time but I promise to start here before mid-May.

It really was an incredible trip. Between the weather (most cities not only looked pretty and had interesting stuff, they actually "smelled" fantastic due to orange trees or whatever....!), the sights, the food (man, I was so hooked to the 2 hour lunches proceeded and followed by great coffee elsewhere! the food is just unbelievable... well, to me anyway), and the people, it was one remarkable trip for me.

Kend, I definitely plan to visit Barcelona and Valencia in the next two years. It WILL happen because I visit Spain for fun but also due to family reasons.

When I got back, after being away from home for so long in a somewhat different culture and surroundings, everything in my house seems very large to me (we have a fairly typical american home in the midwest...)! That is a good indication that we all were away for a good enough time span to actually relax! And my two kids (9 and 6) kept saying gracias and de nada to everyone at the airports generating amused and confused looks from people!

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, comfy,

glad you all had such a great time.

looking forward to reading your report, when you've got time.

regards, ann
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I am glad it was a good trip. So nice of you to let us know that we were of help (there are some great "espana" fodorites here, and I loved reading their recommendations). I have to agree with you about El Greco. My mom loves him, but he kind of freaks me out...I do prefer to see his works in the churches, as you said.

Now I have to go back and see those Real Madrid locker rooms (any team members lurking about???). I also look forward to your upcoming report!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Yes comfy looking forward to the report ..if possible before mother's day (our departure date)??

Glad you had such a good time you put alot of time in the research.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM
earnhart

Comfy, We are leaving on May 26th and will do your first week around Madrid there before leaving for Barcelona for a week. Are you able to do the first few days before then? Thank you.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM
ComfyShoes

Annabelle, No such luck with Real Madrid players. The only one walking around with Raul's number 7 jersey was my six year old

Amsdon/earnhart, I can't promise. Three weeks off of work basically means too many balls in the air when you get back But I will try my best.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:04 PM
earnhart

Thanks for atleast offering to try. Look forward to it.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM

no te procupes...no sweat. I am glad you had such a good time and you don't need to have more stress now that you're back.

ams
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM

oops I need my own Spanish spell check sorry..no te preocupes
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
ComfyShoes

Don't worry, amsdon. The only "ocupes" that I can "pre" right now are related to my job! But I will be back sooner or later.

Josele, I didn't realize you lived in Malaga. I would have bought you a cup of coffee if you had so desired.

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Hi Comfy, glad you had such a great time. It seems I will be going to the places you missed so when I return I may be able to help you out with them. You are right about Foderites being such helpful resources of vital information. Thanks everyone, thereyet
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
earnhart

Comfyshoes herself has been very helpful. This is a great website. Where are going, thereyet? I am going to madrid and barcelona in late May.

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Comfyshoes is himself ! isnt' it, Comfy ?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Welcome back! Glad you had such a fab time. Can't wait for the report and all the details.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Hi Earnhart, off to San Sebastion and Barcelona in July. If you come up with some good info on Barcelona, sure you will, please post to advise. Have a great time, thereyet
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
ComfyShoes

Confirming that ComfyShoes is a, as some will say in Detroit, a "hisself". That said, I thought I did go into women's restroom once by mistake (in Spain). In Prado, which had the strangest way to men's restroom sort of through the women's restarea! As I walked in, I saw this long line of women anxiously balancing their weights on one leg. I muttered a very loud "oh no" or "oops" and turned around until a lady started calling me "caballero". First I thought she was calling me a horse (caballo... spell?) then I realized she was merely pointing the entrance right through their line!

Anyway, everytime I saw "Aseos" for restrooms in Spain, I chuckled. I told my wife it is because spanish people are so nice, even to the tourists that they have named their restareas as (misspelt) rearends Don't shoot me please as I am merely trying to be funny. I loved/love the country.

Hello again, laartista.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -