Reload this Page >

Comfort vs. Style - Appropriate Footwear for Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Mary

I plan to do a lot of walking in Rome, and I want to be comfortable. White athletic shoes are most comfortable for me, but will they identify me too much as a tourist, and if so why should I care about that?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Shanna

In winter, white just looks strange. Guess it's that old custom no white before Memorial Day. In any event, I wore black sneaks in Italian winter because I had them and they went well with cold-weather clothes. But I think they'd be horribly hot and uncomfortable in summer. I'm trying out Ecco sandals which get good reviews for warm weather walking. But I'm not headed into the hills either - it's all pretty much streets and sidewalks. Should you care? I've never in all my life really noticed what others are wearing unless they are way over the top - undies on the outside, lots of cleavage or thigh, colors/patterns that don't work well together, or obviously dirty. But even then who cares?! I'm on vacation and I'll probably get a little tipsy and dance around a bit so where would I get off talking about other people? It's a cabaret! Have fun in Rome, lucky you.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:47 AM
jhm

COMFORT. Every time.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:51 AM
rusty nail

Mary, we all walk a lot in Europe. Todays shoes are built differently and some feel as good as white athletic shoes. Easy Spirit, Naturalizer, Cole-Haan, Aerosoles, all make very comfortable walking shoes. And those are just the American-made ones. There are several European manufacturers selling shoes, too. <BR> <BR>White trainers just don't seem appropriate wear on grown women. Nor do fanny packs! <BR> <BR>I guess it's just a question of personal taste. I wouldn't dream of wearing them in Rome, Denver, New York, or Madrid. At the gym, around the house, working in the yard, sure. IMHO

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Linda

Who really looks? As long as you're comfortable. Having said that, I've worn Easy Spirit all over Europe and never been uncomfortable, even on cobblestones and rocky paths (tho I must admit I've never gone hiking in them!). There are places in major cities where I, personally, just would not be comfortable in tennies. They go with just about anything--you can even wear them in the evening, as long as you are not getting too dressed up. And that means one less pair of shoes to pack! Anything that makes your load lighter.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:57 AM
carol

They will absolutely identify you as a tourist, but you certainly won't be the only tourist wearing them. Most folks who "care" about looking stylish wouldn't ask why they should care. That being the case, it's clear to me that what you really care about is comfort. So be comfortable and wear your most comfortable shoes--even if they're white.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Capo

I agree that it's a matter of personal taste. Even if, IF, wearing white athletic shoes branded you as a tourist you answered your own question for yourself, Mary, when you asked "why should I care about that?" You *shouldn't* care about it if it doesn't matter to *you*. <BR> <BR>On the other hand, it matters to me and, while I never delude myself into thinking that I look exactly like a native of whatever city I'm visiting, it's important enough to *me* to try to blend in as much as possible. Hence, I would never wear athletic shoes. My preference...but to each their own.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:04 PM
mark

Living here in NYC a lot of people wear "tennis shoes". They're just not white. NEw Balance makes a wide range of comfortable "tennis" shoes that are in drab color combos. It seems the uglier the combo the more stylish and desirable - just stay away from white. Check out Paper Magazine.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Mary

Thanks for your opinions. I'll bring a pair of comfortable black shoes. Without even asking, I'll assume that you would never wear jeans.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:28 PM
mark

Plenty of Europeans wear tennis shoes and jeans - and Europe has plenty of ugly suburbs just like the United States. When I travel I like dressing up a bit. For me vacation doesn't mean draw string pants and a sweat shirt. Europeans love shopping here in NYC. I suppose it's that "grass is always greener elsewhere" mentality. Use common sense - a boob tube and Daisey Duke shorts would not be appropriate for the Vatican. I'm not sure exactly where in Rome it would be appropriate to wear such an outfit but I'm sure there is somewhere.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Capo

Mary, in my opinion, I wouldn't put jeans in the same category as athletic shoes, especially black jeans. <BR> <BR>I'm curious about something though. In your original post you seemed to not care about being seen as tourist; did I misread that?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Joanna

Why do people think Italians and French don't wear white sneakers? You'd be amazed how many Italian and French tourists I've seen in the streets of Sydney over the past few months wearing them. <BR> <BR>Maybe they believe white sneakers are what tourists wear, no matter where they're from or where they've travelled to. Also, noticed some of them carry video cameras, wear bum bags (fanny packs as they are called in the U.S.) and speak loudly - all the things we hear other complaining about in American/Australian tourists.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:43 PM
beth

When we were in Rome, wandering around the tourist sites, like the Forum, and the Vatican museum, we were surrounded by hundreds of other tourists, most of whom were wearing shorts, jeans, white sneakers and all the other sorts of things you see Americans wearing at the mall. EVERYBODY looked like a tourist, because they WERE tourists. The whole business about trying not to look like one is really very silly. Unless you plan on going to business meetings, you are going to be around hundreds of tourists all the time. Wear whatever shoes make you most comfortable. You won't stand out. Not in the stores around the Spanish steps, not in St Peter's, not in the Enoteca's at lunch. It really, really doesn't matter. But sore feet... now THAT would ruin your trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Lesli

The primary reason I see in not "looking like a tourist" is to reduce the likelihood of having your pocket picked. I also think that dressing "business casual" sometimes gets you better treatment in shops and restaurants than if you arrived in jeans and sneakers - which can be true here in the US, as well as in Europe. I don't wear sneakers much even at home, so would not wear them in metropolitan cities elsewhere. <BR> <BR>Both my mom (60-plus) and I wore flat black ankle boots with rubber soles and/or comfortable loafer-style shoes during our last trip to France. Clothing-wise, we wore mostly black slacks with a bit of stretch, and various solid-colored, fitted tee shirts and lightweight sweaters/twinsets. We were both comfortable and dressed appropriately for just about anywhere. Variations on this "uniform" have worked well for me in Italy as well, during various seasons. <BR> <BR>But ultimately, your wardrobe is up to you. It is true that you'll see plenty of jeans and sneakers everywhere.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Capo

Beth, I get the implication from your post that you seem to see comfort and aesthetics (or "fashion", if you will) as mutually exclusive. I don't feel that they are...but to each their own.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:55 AM
bob

My wife wears black athletic shoes and also has a pair of Ecco walking shoes.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:49 AM
JT

I would not worry about looking like a tourist..you will anyways..clothing/shoes/hair will give you away. <BR>I've been 3 times and jeans and sneakers are acceptable during the day. Wear the good shoes at night and take a cab they are cheap enough.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:56 AM
CarolA

My big reason for avoiding blue jeans is bulk, weight and drying time. If jeans get wet it can take several days for them to dry. I will be in London in March and I assume I will get wet so I am taking quick dry knits and silk undies (I also assume it will be cold.) Based on this I don't take tennis shoes since I would not wear them with black pants. I have several pairs of black shoes that are great. Based on information I received here, I recently bought a pair of Eccos and they are wonderful!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:38 AM
chris

My traveling and working friends convinced me into buying a pair of Dansko shoes. Funny clog like things in black. I am a nurse in a hospital and that is all any of wear now, Surgeons, nurses and docs. They are about $100.00 but seem to last forever and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I must be sick because I even think they are pretty stylish looking in a odd european sort of way. I've worn them 3 weeks now, no breaking in needed and that is all I am taking to Italy for 3 weeks. I haighly recommend them. I got them at the Walking store in San Diego. REI also sells them.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:34 AM
fred

mary i don't know where you live but here in the northeast thee are several dexter shoe outlets, they have a variety of leather walking shoes that we have found to work well for us