Colosseum Underground Tour

Mar 19th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Colosseum Underground Tour

Hello all,

I have read through a bunch of the threads already, but wanted to make sure I am understanding things correctly:

1. I can call a number in Italy and pay 9 euros + 12 for the combo ticket.

2. Book online with tickitaly and pay 27.50 for tour + combo ticket. Essentially costing me an additional 6.5 euros for the convenience.

Is that correct? And Tickitaly is a reputable company?

If I book through Tickitaly then I can't use the RomaPass, correct?

Does anyone know what the hours are for booking on the phone? Do you give them your credit card information? Do you get any confirmation?
Mar 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Tickitaly is a reseller that marks everything up. The price I see on Tickitaly is 32.50€, not 27.50 - a markup of 13.50€ ($19).

Pierreci is the official booking site for the Colosseum (I assume that's the phone number you have). I would imagine you can call and book the tour and tell them you plan to use the Roma Pass and only pay the 9€ (8€ tour fee +1.50€ booking fee). The Borghese requires calling if you use the Roma Pass so I would think this tour would be similar.

Read this article. It talks about using the Roma Pass with this tour. It suggests you only pay the 9€ by showing your Roma Pass even if you have booked the entrance also.
http://www.revealedrome.com/2010/10/...-there.html#tp

Colosseum booking info from the Pierreci website:

Services:
INFORMATION AND BOOKING
individuals: +39.06.39967700 Mondays-Fridays 9am-6pm Saturdays 9am-2pm
groups: +39.06.39967450 Mondays-Fridays 9am-6pm Saturdays 9am-2pm
schools: +39.06.39967200 Mondays-Fridays 9am-6pm Saturdays 9am-2pm

http://www.pierreci.it/en/museums-an.../colosseo.aspx

FYI - Online purchases on Pierreci will rollover to Omniticket/ticketclic which is still the official booking site.
Mar 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I don't see the ability to book this online at the Pierreci site.

I know this sounds awful, but I've never called overseas before. I guess I'll just grab a phone card and call on Monday!
Mar 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM

I'm having a difficult time trying to book our tickets as well. I used Skype to make the call but the phone menu was mostly in Italian. When I finally reached somebody they told me they spoke English, but were very confused when I asked how to reserve the tickets. I'm trying to find someone who speaks Italian to make the reservation for me.
Mar 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM

I called on Wednesday. I called the number on the Pierreci site +39.06.39967700. I made reservations for 5 people at 10:15 a.m. I asked again for her to confirm that this tour was in English because the site doesn't list a 10:15 tour time and she did confirm that it was an English tour. I didn't have to pay over the phone. She took my name and gave me at confirmation #. She said that I will pay when I get there.
Mar 20th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

My biggest concern is the language barrier and there being a problem with booking/confirming. I'll try on Monday and see what happens!
Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Well, I just tried to call and they are giving me some line about only booking in March and having to prepay. However, others are posting they booked for May and didn't prepay.

They said to call back this afternoon. Really weird.
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM

I called Pierreci on Monday and they told me I could not book until Thursday. So I called today (Thursday)and now they say I have to call back on Monday. I would like to book this online on the Omniticket site but I can't see where it mentions the underground/3rd level guided tour anywhere an I'm afraid I'll get to Italy and find that I purchased the wrong thing. Any advice???
Mar 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM

There's another thread about this. Pierreci is having "technical problems", presumably with their computer systems.

Omniticket doesn't sell the underground tours. Only Pierreci does and third-party resellers, who also have to buy from Pierreci and are also having problems doing so, to the point that they are sending out cancellation notices.

If your trip is very soon, I suggest you just buy tickets at the counter at the Colosseum. If it's a way off, give it a week or two.
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM

Thanks a bunch!! I'm not going until the end of May so I'll wait a bit and try again.
Mar 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

They told me to try back 3/31 for April/May tours.
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM

HI Twiggers, did you try calling yesterday to book the Colossuem tickets? Any luck? Thank you.
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM

I booked on Wednesday for 2nd week of April...you may want to give it a try. I did have to pay, but only the cost of the tour as it's culture week.
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:56 AM
bdj

Just called and booked for April 15. The cost was 43€ for two tickets which they stated could also be used at the Forum and Palatine Hill. So this includes the 2-day combo ticket for all three?

I was given a code and told to pick the tickets up at the reservation desk at the Colosseum. Is this the line that avoids the long queue?

I am assuming the tickets can be picked up earlier than my 4:20pm reservation for the underground allowing me to visit the Colosseum, including the third order in advance of said reservation. Can anyone confirm this?

Getting these answers over the phone proved difficult and sketchy given the language barrier and the overseas delay. Clarification from anyone on this board would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 4th, 2011, 05:34 AM

Considering how long I have been on hold I am thinking the third party may be cheaper. I just hung up and will try EARLY tomorrow and see if I get lucky. If not I may go with a third party. Markup vs phone bill seems about the same (I don't do Skype, I am a little leary of them after they started charging my credit card for an account I don't have!)
Apr 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM

I did get through this morning and booked. Only booked the tour since I am not sure what ticket option we are doing yet. The agent spoke VERY good English!
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

I booked mine for 5/14 this morning. 21.50 for the tour + entrance tickets. I chose the 9:40 tour, so I'll just start my day at the colosseum.
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM

<
I am assuming the tickets can be picked up earlier than my 4:20pm reservation for the underground allowing me to visit the Colosseum, including the third order in advance of said reservation. Can anyone confirm this?>>

We went this past weekend. You go sort of into the "middle" line, which is much shorter and moves very quickly. You can walk in on the left with school groups, then when that splits go into the middle towards the reservations desk. If you get confused, ask someone who works there and he/she will point you to the appropriate line. There are people directing the lines once you are in the building. I'm sure I'm not explaining this clearly, but, no, don't wait in the long line.

They ask you to arrive 30 minutes in advance of your tour time, though you can pick up your tickets earlier if you want to see the the Forum, Colosseum or Palatine first. However, I would visit the Colosseum after the tour if at all possible. I think you will enjoy it much more after having heard what your guide will tell you while underground and up above.
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Does anyone know when July tickets will be available? I just called and they are only selling tickets through the end of June right now. She didn't know when they would be available. Does anyone have an idea of how far in advance they go onsale? Thanks!
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:16 AM

I believe I read on one of these posts that they opened the underground tours only through the end of June. You'll have to wait to see if they extend the tours past that date

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO