Search

Colmar

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 03:09 PM
ana

Colmar

We'll be visiting Strasbourg for a day and a half. Is it worthwhile to visit Colmar also (by train)? Or Strasbourg would have enough to see for that short period of time?

Old May 27th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Nancy

I copied this from my trip diary of Germany. "Took tram ride thru Colmar. Picturesque town, viewed area called Petite Venise (Little Venice). Sipped wine by stream. Warm day; cute town. Toured Unterlinden Museum - huge religious paintings, very graphic, storytelling - one of the better museums in Europe. Was a 13th century Dominican cloister/convent. Colmar is the home of Bartholdi who sculpted the Statue of Liberty." I always remember in particular my excursion to Colmar.

Old May 27th, 2002, 06:11 PM
mimi taylor

We came by car, but Colmar is a lovely town with markets and canals.

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Diane

Colmar's Little Venice has a lot of charm. I have a photo of the canal on my website:<BR>http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...ip2001pg8.html

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Leona

Go for it! Colmar is only 30 minutes away by train; very easy. You can bop down there and wander around for 4 hours and see plenty.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:28 AM
lily

Yes! And please go see the Issenheim Alterpiece by Grunewald while you're there. Of the many important works I've visited over the years, this was perhaps the most affecting and dramatic. It's been a while but I'll never forget it.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:21 AM
ana

Thanks for all the advice. Since the train will take only 30 mins., then we'll go. <BR><BR>But one other question, can we buy train tickets on the day we're going to Colmar?

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Myriam

Yes, you can buy the tickets at the station in Strasbourg until just before the train leaves.