College students traveling to Europe

Mar 5th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

College students traveling to Europe

Hi,
My friend and I are participating in a study abroad program at Cambridge University for a month during July. We were planning on leaving a week early to do some sightseeing in other parts of Europe. We both would like to go to Italy, but we were considering possibly going to two countries (perhaps Spain or Greece) during the week. We would appreciate some advice about what cities to visit. Would it be too ambitious to try and visit two countries in the course of a week? Should we just visit multiple cities in Italy during this time? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Megan
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM

You can do it, but you won't see much, just a big blur. Remember you will be jetlagged when you first arrive in Europe. That takes a day or two to recover from. I'd do 2 cities in Italy, Rome and Florence or Venice. Or maybe just Rome.

Assuming you ignore this advice, look at www.whichbudget.com for cheap flights. And avoid Heathrow when flying into England from the continent.
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Yeh for a week in Spain or Greece you fly. But also on long weekends or weeks you can get to Paris in about two hours or Amsterdam, etc. In Britain the youth BritRail or English railpass can be a great bargain as can the Days Out of London. I always refer novices planning such a foray to two good sources: www.ricksteves.com - he has great train info but also a list of dependable discount airlines; and www.budgeteuropetravel.com to get their fine European Planning & Rail Guide, which covers rail travel but also many other things and its free. For Italy you can also fly, or work you way thru gorgeous Switzerland by train from Paris and then fly back from Italy or take the overnight trains between Rome, Florence, Venice and Paris, which is just a few hours via Eurostar train from London.
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM

If you don't want to fly and not see any of Europe inbetween airports, consider taking the Eurostar to Paris (some great youth fares if under 26, hit Paris then hop an overnight train to Italy or Spain - stay there some days and return by day train - perhaps stopping in Switzerland for a cup of coffee en route or back by overnight train.

Investigate the Eurail Select Youthpass where you can chose your own countries or if just in Italy the France-Italy Eurailpass. Trains are fun for folks you age as there are many college type kids from all over the world taking them around Europe.
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Sure you can see two cities in a week, it doesn't really matter if they are in the same country or different ones (if you fly or pick ones that are close by train).

You could pair Paris/Venice, Venice/Florence, Venice/Lausanne... as example (you'll see I'm partial to Venice -lol!)