Search

COATS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 08:01 AM
brenda

COATS

Leaving for Ireland and England next week for a three week trip. What is the best type and weight multi-purpose coat and or coats for this trip. We know it will be rainy but how cold? A winter type with hood or a shell with fleece vest for layering? A trench type more for dress in England?

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 09:26 AM
Al

Wet and windy with sunny intervals...a typical weather forecast for where you are headed. So wear something that's windproof and waterproof, with room underneath for layers. Forget about these polyester fuzzies so popular in America. It's wool...like in sheep...that will protect you.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 12:41 PM
Gail

I brought a windbreaker with a hood the first time, plus a couple of sweaters, and was usually warm. I've decided that next time I'll bring my black trench raincoat with the zip-out lining. Black blends in England, especially London, and lots of people wore trench coats. I just felt too glaringly American last time. And forget worrying about a hood -- I wound up buying an umbrella because the hood (and coat) were constantly dripping with rain water, and it eventually started to soak through.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 12:48 PM
Cathy

Brenda, <BR>For Ireland dress in layers, have a warm and waterproof coat/jacket etc and forget the umbrella as it is too windy for that. Ireland is cold and wet and windy generally at the moment, <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy yourself, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 09:41 AM
Lesley

Hi Brenda, <BR> <BR>It is currently about 55 degrees in England at the moment. Half rain, half... well not exactly sunshine, but not raining. Expect about 50 - 55 for your three weeks. If it helps, I'm not into my Winter coats yet, still wearing a mac or short jacket. Enjoy your stay.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 03:58 PM
Ryn

We always visit in shoulder season, and we don't want to lug a lot of bulky outerwear. We bring one coat each, and they look almost identical: black microfiber trench coats with a zip-out Thinsulate liner. Worn mine everywhere from Hyde Park to the Giant's Causeway, and I don't remember getting any strange looks. I also bring one long warm WOOL cardigan for Ireland (packed in a vacuum bag to compress it), it's always been fine for playing on the farm with the children this time of year or in early Spring; I pack silk longies to wear underneath if gets really cold. <BR>Remember that there is a weight/size limit on luggage going overseas; versatility is key. (BTW, I've found that good Irish wool sweaters tend to be cheaper in the US.) Get a good umbrella that won't turn easily. I have a wonderful flat-made aluminum one that fits inside my handbag.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 02:55 AM
Bob

A good pair of long johns works wonders in Europe in winter. You can carry lighter pants and put on johns when needed.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 09:54 AM
Marc David Miller

I have travelled with Barbour coats for many years--they are (generally) green, oil-cloth coats that are very waterproof, and feel comfortable from about 70 f to 32 f; I combine it with a down vest for really cold days. People in Europe wear them for anything from hunting (their original purpose) to far dressier occasions. They are pricey ($200-500 in the US) but long lasting and highly functional for travel. The huge inner pockets on the model that I own can easily hold a guidebook, small umbrella, camera, sweater and a day's purchases.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 10:29 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>To hood, or not to hood. That is the question. <BR> <BR>I typically like to travel with coats that have hoods. This is mainly because I would prefer to have to carry as little as possible, and a hood will keep your head warm (and possibly dry) if it is cold and/or rainy. <BR> <BR>I agree with the wind-busting-your umbrella factor too. In certain cases an umbrella is not only something extra to carry around, you might end up pitching it anyway if it is windy enough and it breaks... <BR> <BR>if it's THAT rainy and you can't stand it, duck into a pub and wait it out. pretty soon it'll either stop raining or you won't care anymore... <BR> <BR>regarding the lightness - I imagine for early November a good Goretex anorak/windbreaker would be perfect. Light enough to wear even if it is not raining, and if it is chilly - wear layers. <BR> <BR>One trip in February I wore a heavy woollen coat with a hood, with deep pockets. It is a great coat for traveling in the winter. it is warm, it is thick so it is enough to dash from cover to cover if it should happen to rain (probably not good for prolonged walking in the rain though - although I was quite lucky in the rain department) and the deep pockets are great for carrying a guidebook & odds & ends. <BR> <BR>hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Beth