Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coals to Newcastle, or Can I Take Champagne into Italy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:53 PM
nancy

Ok. <BR>I know this is a strange scenario. <BR>(and please little x, let someone "spoonfed" me today) <BR>We have a great bottle of champagne that my husband bought for us to drink this past New Years Eve, but we did not. <BR>We are not big champ drinkers and would probably not have many other occasions to drink this bottle, <BR>Especially given the fact that my husband is planning to move out of our house upon our return from Italy. <BR>If I knew I could hide it somewhere , I would save it until the divorce... <BR>Does anyone know if one can take a bottle INTO Italy? <BR>The U.S customs site only gives info for U.S. <BR>Where can I find out this info? <BR>Given that this will be our first <BR>*and* last family trip with all four of us, <BR>I thougtht that it would be nice to take the champ over to Rome, and drink it on the apt. terrace, (giving the childern a little sip or two.) <BR>To celebrate being in Rome! <BR>Has anyone brought alcohol into Italy? <BR>or do you have the site I can go to for Italian customs info? <BR>thanks very much. <BR>Then i can use that packing space to bring back some of the great recommended wines, from this forum. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Stacey

Nancy - <BR> <BR>I've been reading your posts over the past few weeks/months and haven't had much to say that others hadn't already. I do not envy you your situation and I wish you the best with it. You're a better person than I am to even consider bringing the bottle and sharing it. You'll have no problem bringing the bottle over. <BR>I'd love to see what some of the regular posters could come up with for alternate uses for that bottle!!!! <BR> <BR>Good luck with your trip. I hope you and the kids enjoy it as much as humanly possible.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:21 PM
nancy

Thanks Stacey, for the info and the chuckle! <BR>I can think of a few uses for it, too! :-0 <BR>Thanks for your thoughts,also. <BR>I'll pack that bottle and put it on ice in Italy. <BR>And maybe i'll just save it for when husband leaves and friend/favorite "auntie" arrives! <BR>She likes champs.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Betsy

Hi Nancy <BR> <BR>I've been to Italy several times and never has any customs worker even so much as glanced at my luggage, so you can probably take it in without a problem. What's the worst thing that could happen? If you are stopped at customs, you could always pop the cork and have a little party right there at the aeroporto. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Linda

Good luck, Nancy. And I'm still eager to hear about your trip when you return. Have a ball!

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Linda

Thought I posted this once, but it disappeared . . . <BR>Good luck, Nancy. And have fun. You've earned it already! Am eager to hear about your trip when you return. <BR> <BR>Linda

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:47 AM
nancy

Thanks guys! <BR>37 more days! <BR>Time to get real with a few lists! <BR>