Reload this Page >

Coach Plus on BA? Anyone done it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:51 PM
julie

We love BA to London, but hate the coach cramp scene, so have booked seats in "coach plus" as an alternative to a very expensive business class seat. Has anyone done it? Is it that much better. I am dying to know before we leave, so I can upgrade if we have to to avoid an early death in coach.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:05 AM
kate

I've flown in World Traveller Plus (the "coach plus" you mentioned, I think) on BA and Premium Economy on Virgin, and I think both are well worth it if you get a sale price. Virgin is a little better because, in addition to a significantly more comfortable seat and more legroom (both available on BA), you also get somewhat better check-in privileges and better meals. And you get the duck on your toothbrush (available in Virgin Economy and Premium Economy but not First - not sure why). In essence, you're treated like Business Minus, whereas on BA you're treated a bit like Economy in a big seat (same meal, same check-in procedures as Economy, just more space). However, you can get better check-in privileges if you sign up to BA's Executive Club (then you can check in on-line or by telephone and avoid the queues). Virgin is more fun, but its routes are limited.<BR><BR>Sometimes the prices are great. Last winter I flew Premium Economy from London - San Francisco (separate cabin upstairs) and than San Francisco - Vancouver on Alaska Airlines, and stayed for two nights in a hotel in SF, for only $25 more than a direct Air Canada economy flight from London to Vancouver.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Andy

Hi Julie- Have done Premium Economy on Virgin Atlantic and LOVE it- In fact, have done it 3 times!!<BR><BR>Service is outdtanding-seats are like first class seats in US domestic-have footrest-Food is good and staff is great!<BR><BR>If you choose to fly BA ( I don't like BA's haughty attitude) , then definitely go COACH PLUS-- it is well worth it for the size of the seats alone!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:19 AM
SEH

Ok - I'm new at the "coach plus" and "premium economy" idea too and I have some questions. We are flying to London on Virgin out of JFK - any tips on how to do this upgrade without mortgaging my house? Sounds like a wonderful way to fly and I'm sure my tall husband would like to fly to Europe at least once without having his knees shoved into his chin while the person ahead of him reclines the seat into his lap. Any help/tips/suggestions on booking would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:28 AM
kate

You can watch out for a sale on Premium Economy, or if you have collected points on Virgin you can use the points to upgrade to Premium Economy. You should also check out their Flying Club and its special offers - you might find a deal on companion tickets (e.g. buy one Premium Economy at full fare and get a second free). Also, if you have an Amex card, there might be a deal either with BA or Virgin regarding companion tickets. Note - when I flew Premium Economy on Virgin, I'd originally purchased an economy seat during a seat sale. When they announced the sale on Premium upgrades, I called them back and they gave me the sale price to upgrade my ticket. So if you don't want to take risks, you can always buy economy tickets and then watch the news and website for sales.