Reload this Page >

Clues to use, but don't abuse

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 11:41 AM
Julie

For first time travellers, here's my list of do's and don'ts. Feel free to add or subtract. (what I learned the hard way). <BR>1. Public toilets in much of europe do not exist or, if they do, do not use under any circumstances. Go in to a cafe and buy a coffe or bottle of water. <BR>2. Do not walk about looking at a map as if you are lost "message is--sucker!" <BR>3. Do not wear flash clothes or jewelry. <BR>4. do not tell natives how good we got it at home. Say something positive about their culture, and do not expect every accomodation to be "american" style. In England you may share a bath. <BR>5. Be aware that banks and restaurants have certain hours, usually much shorter than here. <BR>6. When driving, be aware that waiting for a clear distance while passing is not a rule' people pass on sholders or when they think they can squeek by, and it is up to You to yield. Do not try to interpret any sign language exhibited toward you, especially in Italy! <BR>7. Keep some cash in your shoe, bra, or elsewhere out of sight. Leave no receipts in trash, do not use name tags on luggage, do not answer questions about your profession, financial circumstances, etc. <BR>KEEP A LOW PROFILE. <BR>8. Try to eat some local stuff. <BR>9. Do not talk Politics or religion. These oare heated subjects. <BR>10. Plan ahead, and after all the above precautions, take a chance and learn something new.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 11:59 AM
rand

Julie, point four has me laughing so hard. When in England, who do you share your bath with? Are there strict rules about bath sharing or will any good looking stranger do?

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:11 PM
julie

Well Rand, it seems clear that you may not have ever been to England, or else you stay at the Intercontintal, because "shared bath" means that you share a bathroom (complete with tub), silly. Of course, if you choose to share the tub with someone, that is your business.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:14 PM
martha python

Actaully, Rand, Julie is too modest to say so, but she's a well-known advocate of water conservation. Shared baths are only the beginning.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:25 PM
elvira

Does each person have to have a washcloth, or can that be shared as well?

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:27 PM
Russ

Some of the suggestions sound a bit paranoid, Julie. Don't discuss issues? Don't identify yourself or let anyone know the kind of work you do? What will happen if I discuss the culture I'm visiting with honest, thoughtful comments -- will I be vaporized by an offended native? <BR> <BR>One of the complaints I often hear from Europeans about Americans is that we lack sincerity. It almost seems as if some of your suggestions are encouraging Americans to become invisible, or at least artificial.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:30 PM
martha python

It saves water if you share the washcloth. <BR>1) Each washcloth absorbs a small amount of water that could be used more productively in the tub. <BR>2) Fewer washcloths=less laundry=more saved water. <BR>Data on water wastage due to attempted leg shaving with showerhead-on-a-snake are still being collected.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:46 PM
Tammy

Politics and religion can be heated discussions not matter the country. I spent some time in Brazil during the Lewinsky/Clinton episode, and I always had Brazilians ask me about it. I don't know if I would qualify it as politics or gossip, but it was fun and a chance for them to practice english and me to practice portuguese.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 02:07 PM
elvira

I'd suggest sharing the towel, but you'd be better of using the towel for a washcloth and using the washcloth to dry off. <BR>Water conservation is evident in the showerhead-on-a-snake because as the water that's spilled on (read: that FLOODS) the floor seeps through the floor below's ceiling, it provides a shower for that room's occupant.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 02:45 PM
rand

That would explain the low water pressure in the showers. I have always had ground floor rooms and been showering in the seepage from above.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 03:55 PM
s.fowler

I had to laugh at #2. I was wandering around the 6eme in Paris and saw a family looking at a map. I asked [in English] if they neded help. Turned out to be a FRENCH family. So I switched to my lousy french and helped them find whree they wanted to go! <BR> <BR>Moral: Never judge a map by its holder

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 04:26 PM
worfsmom

Hope the Europeans don't get offended by the tips. Believe it or not most make sense anywhere. Do we really have to eat the local food in Germany? <BR> <BR>They haven't heard of cholestryl!!!!!!

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 08:48 PM
hamlet

I am sure Julie had good intentions, but I personally found most of the advice listed above to be excessive and unreasonable and definitely in need of qualification. Especially the phrases that begin "do not." What if I do? What's wrong with those public toilets that sanitize themselves after use? What's wrong with ANY available toilet if you really have to go? Why not walk around with a map when touring a new place? What's actually the problem with wearing flashy clothes or jewelry? Why not tell natives what's good about our homes, should we tell them things are awful and they should never visit the US and pity us? Why not exchange personal information or have a heated discussion with someone from another culture? The last bit of advice is the only one that makes sense to me - Do take a chance and try something new! <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 09:38 PM
harzer

Some of this 'advice' had me rolling about. #1 Addenda: make sure you get a bottle of water or a coffee in a container appropriate to the size of your bladder. Europeans can be difficult about providing one-liter coffee cups at first but perseverance will pay off. #2 If you want to meet people always carry a map around and look lost. Before you know it you will be enjoying local hospitality. My wife and I did this in LA and were in someone's home meeting the family within the hour. #5 Banks, post offices and tourist offices arrange their hours to inconvenience the tourist. Beware the long lunch break, especially in the warmer regions of Europe. Restaurants, however, contrive to be open at this time, but closed during mid to late afternoon. #7 Keeping cash in your shoe is eminently sensible, as it absolves you from the need to wear socks. So that's why it's called filthy lucre! Be sure to buy a bra two sizes larger than normal for your trip to Europe, three in Italy, because of those damned lira. Bras for men are all the rage in Europe - I like a 47B crossover, how about you? #8 I tried to eat some local stuff once. Yuk! Now I take it all with me from home and hand the excess baggage charge. <BR>Sorry, Julie, but this was a troll was it not? <BR> <BR>It is all very confusing.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:20 AM
Jim

*.Lack of bathrooms/toliets in UK. Anyone who has travelled on the London Underground Metro would have noticed the consequences. <BR> *.British folks are very shy /reserved and the minute you start talking to them you tend to get uneasy. The friendly forigners outside UK will talk to you in English <BR>*. Europe is generally less advanced economically and hence the temptation for mugging is high. Thus an less developed banking system too. For the same reason avoid political discussions. <BR>*. Keep the stolen emergency credit card phone number in a safe place. You are likely to need it.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 01:30 AM
stirfry

I'm sorry sir but this 100 franc bill you have just given me is suffering from tinea.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 04:53 AM
Lori

Ah to be back at the Europe forum with the people who actually have a sense of humor. FYI, most of the people on the United States forum do not have a sense of humor. As for sharing a bath, what a neat way to meet a 'native'.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 06:54 AM
elvira

Lori, if you are reading a map at the same time, you're a shoo in for making friends. <BR>1) Public toilets in the U.S. are far superior to anything anywhere else. Just check out the ones in Grand Central Station or Port Authority. <BR>2) Walking around with a map will lead people to think you are female, as men have natural honing abilities and don't need maps or directions. <BR>3) Flash clothes, at least in my neighborhood, get you arrested and your picture on a flyer posted near schools. <BR>4) Never tell natives how good we have it; they'll all emigrate to the U.S. and then where would be? It's a struggle, but try to find something positive to say about the country, even if it's "your country has a great personality". As far as sharing baths, well, the Japanese have been doing it for years so at least Europe is catching up. <BR>5) Unlike the U.S., where all banks are open 24 hours a day - and the tellers' services are free - European banks aren't open at convenient hours. They don't need the money. Restaurants open for the convenience of the natives, forgetting that Americans are used to stuffing themselves all day long. <BR>6) European drivers should take courtesy lessons from New York cabbies and everyone in Sun City, Arizona. <BR>7) Keeping money in your shoe is very good advice; even at the beach or in the shower (and especially when sharing a bath) be sure to keep your shoes on. Remove all identifying marks from your luggage so that if it is lost, it'll be returned to you by the laundry marks on your clothes or the food you've brought with you. <BR>8) Try to eat local stuff; you'll probably gag and have to spit it out, but the natives will never notice, being so overwhelmed by your map. <BR>9) Never talk politics or religion; stick to neutral topics like which country has the prettiest women and should reclining seats be banned on airplanes. <BR>10) Plan ahead, making sure you stay only at American chain hotels and eating in Pizza Huts and McDonald's, with the occasional foray as mentioned in #8.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:08 AM
martha python

Limmericks? Anyone got a limmerick?

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:21 AM
GFox

Aw, I think you're all a little hard on Julie. Even if her phrasing is a little rough, I think she genuinely meant to help the first-timers based on her own experiences, which were apparently a little rough at times. I admit I chortled a little at #1, since drinking coffee or water will only make the need of a restroom greater -- but that doesn't mean I didn't understand what she was suggesting. I think she did much better than I expect will be the case with the first-time traveler to Spain who is so upset that they won't speak the language of her textbook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -