Reload this Page >

Clothing sizes in Great Britain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Diane M

A large female friend has asked me to bring her a T-shirt from London. She wears a size XXL or 3X in the United States. Can someone tell me what this size would be in the UK?

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:08 AM
Sheila

Probably XXL. A rule of thumb is that a US number - say size 8- is 2 numbers higher here- size 10. <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Bob Brown

Why not measure a US XXL shirt, width and length? Jot down the measurements, take them along, with a small tape measure. If you write down the measurements and don't have a tape measure, you must know the metric equivalents. I suggest that because I bought a shirt or two last year and found that sizes meant little, even if I did have a table of equivalents. Fortunately, I was able to try it on first. What I thought was a large might have been large on my grandson, age 5. <BR>And if it is pure,unshrunk cotton, an XXL as a way of becoming suitable for a doll in about two washings.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:45 AM
cherie

I was a Girl Scout (therefore always prepared)...I travel with a measuring tape that has inches/metric. British Sizes run in the large realm. I mail- ordered a sweater from "Cash's" that was Medium and it came down to my knees....Best to measure your friends preferable size shirt and measure the one you bring home for her.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:04 PM
Diane M

Thanks to all of you. Dumb me never thought about measuring an XXL. That sounds like a good idea.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 09:20 AM
cherie

I guess I'm more compulsive than I care to admit...After we built our home, I began carrying a little card in my wallet so that when we traveled I would have the EXACT MEASUREMENTS of our dining room tables (for tablecloths) in metric and inches, as well as our various curtains/windows (in case I wanted yardage.) When I took this card out, people were always impressed because it removed the guesswork. Compulsive, huh?

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 01:50 PM
Diane

When you buy that t-shirt, double check the quality--I bought a t-shirt in an outdoor market for about 5 pounds--pretty cheap. The sample I saw seemed thick enough, but when I got home and washed the shirt, it was very thin and I was afraid to put it in the dryer.