Closest train stop to Positano

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Dawn

Closest train stop to Positano

I am planning a trip to Italy in May and one of my destinations is Positano (Hotel Poseidon). While on the RailEurope site yesterday I noticed that there was not an option for a stop in Positano nor was there a stop for Sorrento. Is this correct? And if so, where exactly is the closest stop? Thanks for your help!

Jan 8th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Jessica

Hi Dawn,

Others will be able to give you more specifics (I can't remember them!)but you either catch the SITA bus from Naples that will take you to Positano, take the Circum...something train to Sorrento and then a bus, or hire a car to take you to Positano. On my trip there in October we hired a car from Luigi De Martino and his staff. The drivers were very nice, spoke good english, and were most accommodating. I want to say our roundtrip was 100-150 USD. It may seem high but it was worth it for us because we were schelping a lot of stuff (ie. wedding dress)and did not want to sit on the bus forever with it all. Luigi's number is 089-811-231 and his fax number is 089-811-141.

You may also want to check out the Positano website: positanoonline.com

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, Poseidon is a very nice hotel. That is actually where we stayed prior to our wedding on their terrace and we had a fabulous suite. I think you will thoroughly enjoy your stay with them.

Have a great trip.

Jessica

Jan 8th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Dawn

Thanks for the info Jessica, unfortunately, the website that you provided does not give any info about trains/buses. It only gives info on taxis. However, your response has prompted me to ask another question, is it worth it to rent a car in Naples and drive to Positano? I will be spending two nights in Positano and then the following two nights in Naples. I would probably return the car upon my arrival back in Naples. I don't think I have the confidence to navigate a city like Naples on my own. Anyway, anyone who has any suggestions regarding the trains/buses or driving would be appreciated.

Jan 8th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Grasshopper

The easiest way to take public transportation is to take the Circumvesuvius train (a local train so not on the site you looked at) from Napels to Sorrento. The station is in the big Naples train station. Then you can catch a SITA bus from the Sorrento station to Positano or you could get a taxi from there. It won't be cheap to take a taxi from Sorrento but a lot cheaper than from Naples. You could rent a car but the road is famous for it's curves and narrow steep cliffs.

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Steve James

Hello Dawn,

The Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento runs about every 30 minutes from Piazza Garibaldi. Journey time to Sorrento is 65 mins.

For buses from Sorrento to Positano timetables are onBR>www.uniplan.it/sita/s509.txt
Journey time is 45 mins.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Dawn

Grasshopper and Steve - thanks for the info. Do either one of you have any idea how much a taxi from the Sorrento station to Positano would cost?

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Grasshopper

When I go to the Sorrento I stay at the Aminta and the taxi from the train station to the hotel is about $20. So I'm guessing that to Positano, which is farther may be as much as $50. It's not cheap! When you see the road you will know why! Alternatively the bus ticket is a couple of bucks but it drops you off at the road at the top of the town and then you walk down the hill. Will you be travelling lightly?

Jan 8th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Steve James

The best quote I had last summer was 80.000 LIRE, which should translate to about 40 EURO.

Jan 8th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Vincenzo

Dear Dawn, the closest train stop to Positano is Meta di Sorrento or Piano di Sorrento. These are two railway stations of Circumvesuviana. Nobody knows becaus from these railway stations don't departure bus and taxi so that you must arrive at Sorrento that is the last stop of Circumvesuviana.
Anyway if you arrive in a week day that isn't Saturday or Sunday I can bring you to Positano by my car. I live at Piano di Sorrento: no problem. Of course it's free of charge, of course !
Write me an e-mail. I'm glad to help you.
Ciao.

Jan 8th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Dawn

Vincenzo, thank you for your generous offer, but I am arriving in Sorrento on a weekday. I think I have decided to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and then I hope I can find that cabbie who will accept 40 EURO to take me to Positano. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Jan 8th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Risa

Dawn, be a little cautious about the cab drivers in Sorrento. A group of them crowded around us at the train station and it got really confusing, I think they wanted it that way. We ended up paying way too much just to get out of their sight. Another day we wanted a cab to a certain restaurant, so we walked up to one on the square and asked him to take us there, he said the restaurant was "closed down" we believed him and he took us to another place that he suggested and we found out later that he was lying. Just be aware.

Jan 9th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Steve James

Dawn - You will get the best rate by pre-booking. A taxi-driver may well quote you more.

For quotes tryBR>[email protected] (S. Astarita)
[email protected] (M. Maresca)
[email protected] (G. Gargiulo)

Hope this helps ...

Steve