COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Closest/cheapest place to purchase SIM card in Rome?

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

My phone is quad (ancient but this worked in Austria in 2007) and when I arrive in Rome I will be looking for a SIM card to function whilst in Italy. Where can I get the SIM card? Is also my understanding that when I move on to Switzerland I will need to purchase another SIM for there? Where do I buy one in Switzerland? Shall travel to Bern or Locarno in Switzerland.
Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM

If you are arriving by train, there is a TIM store on the upper level of the Termini station. 10€ for a TIM card which includes 5€ talk time.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM

There is a TIM store at FCO terminal. You can roam in other European countries using the Italian SIM. I am sure there are other cellphone stores at FCO.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:00 PM

The TIM store at FCO is located in the B gates - which is behind security. If you're coming in from a Schengen country, you'll be able to stay behind security and head over to the B Gates area ("3" and vodafone are also close by).

Unfortunately the smartphone in T3 Arrivals closed and while there have been some "SIM card" kiosks scattered at random points, options on the public side of FCO are limited. Head upstairs in public are a of T3 to Dixon's and you can get a Vodaphone SIM. As suggested, your closest option may be Roma Termini or the street by your hotel. On our street one block over from the Vatican there were perhaps 5-6 phone vendor options... so they are everywhere!

For FCO phone or SIM options, you might look at this article: http://tinyurl.com/fco-sim
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Topping this thread - whats the current advice on getting a SIM or microSIM for a smartphone in Rome. Where to buy, what is required (is a code fiscale still needed) and is there a waiting period before activation.

This will be one of my first taske hitting the ground there and it would be good to get some uptodate info.

thanks in advance - I will update re what actually happens...
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM

If you are arriving by train, there is a TIM store in Termini upstairs.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM

I purchased a SIM with unlimited internet, plenty of calls and 100 IMs for 20E at the Termini SIM store. It took a little paperwork and presentation of my passport but the SIM was installed and checked out then and there and I was on my way. there are lots of other similar stores around Rome.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM

Will this SIM work with an Iphone 3? It is unlocked.